Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help to id Philco condenser block

BTW, has anyone had success in cleaning the volume pots on these. I have a small amount of "scratchiness" which I'd like to eliminate, but the pot seems pretty well sealed. If it's a risky job, I'll just leave it as is.

Unsolder, pry up the 6 tabs on the front. Gently pull it apart. Spray inside with Deoxit(best but some guys use WD-40 )with good results. Reassemble with care that the tab that flips the off/on switch is in the proper position. Resolder and enjoy! If that doesn't fix it you have a worn spot in the resistance film inside the pot. This will require replacement to correct the problem.
Isn't radio repair fun!!!!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Kiko, hi again. I have had bad luck trying to clean the Philco pots. On one I used a commercial contact cleaner and it disolved the resistance track. It may have been and odd circumstance but I'm leery with them. PL

7estatdef Wrote:BTW, has anyone had success in cleaning the volume pots on these. I have a small amount of "scratchiness" which I'd like to eliminate, but the pot seems pretty well sealed. If it's a risky job, I'll just leave it as is.

Unsolder, pry up the 6 tabs on the front. Gently pull it apart. Spray inside with Deoxit(best but some guys use WD-40 )with good results. Reassemble with care that the tab that flips the off/on switch is in the proper position. Resolder and enjoy! If that doesn't fix it you have a worn spot in the resistance film inside the pot. This will require replacement to correct the problem.
Isn't radio repair fun!!!!
Terry
planigan Wrote:Kiko, hi again. I have had bad luck trying to clean the Philco pots. On one I used a commercial contact cleaner and it disolved the resistance track. It may have been and odd circumstance but I'm leery with them. PL

Well, I got the pot cleaned!

Leery about disassembling and reassembling with out damage, I removed it from the chassis and found a small hole on the front the pot with what looked like a hollow brass rivet. I gave it a couple of good squirts with NAPA electronic cleaner (used this for several years and it seems to work well and it's cheaper than most others) worked it back and forth about 25 times or so and then repeated and let dry overnight...and presto, I have a clean pot with all the "scratchiness" gone and better volume too.

Yep, radio repair is fun...when you can look back at your success. However, it sometimes can be really frustrating...before you get to that point! Thanks again guys, this forum is always a great help to those of us who are "electronically challenged" and still learning.

Best regards,
Kico

"I whisper, but my horse still doesn't listen."