Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

296 radio/phono pictures, how?

I have just aquired a nice big, heavy 296 in the last week. Radio works but phono pickup may need overhaul. Platter turns nice and quiet. Looks pretty much original to me, but if so, someone took good care. Got it on ebay for 70$ from a local seller. He also had a cherry condx. 211, but I only have his photos of that one. It went for 760$, a bit more than mine! I want to post pictures on the forum, especially since there is not a 296 in the gallery. How do I attach photos on this type of posting? Thanks. [/url]

Well, I just was browsing the forums and found the note about having to have another website to link to, to post images of radios. So DISREGARD my previous post. Sorry I did not see that sticky in the announcements sooner! Well, if someone wants it, I still can email photo(s) of the nice looking 296 I got. Or even the cherry sharp 211, that I could not afford!
When I got this radio home, I tried it first, plugged into an isolation trans. on the lower voltage tap, so that the voltage did not exceed 110VAC. Is this a concern on these radios? I know on some older sets they recommend not running them over 110 input, due to design and strain on components. Anyway, the thing picked up all kinds of stations with a four foot wire for an antenna. And the dial cal is correct, etc. Sounds good for an old TRF? Liked the price, as the pair of 45's in it are worth that, if you go by ebay prices. See it was 198 new. Wonder what else that money could get you in 1930? Also got a printed two page mag. ad from 1930 on the way, from ebay, on this model. I guess I am new to Philco's in particular, and looks like they really poured in the quality in these earlier sets! Thanks. (I don't have a webpage to post pictures on Icon_cry )

Hi Tom,

Since you want to sell this radio, you should delete these posts here
and re-post it in the proper Phorum Section: Philco For Sale or Trade.

Thanks Icon_smile

No, I don't want to sell it. I just wanted to donate a picture to the gallery, unless there is one waiting in the wings to be posted. I just got it. In such nice shape, that I really think I will keep it. I had a Zenith 11S474 console that worked but needed alot of cosmetic restoration and recap, etc. This one really needs nothing but a couple scratches concealed on the cabinet, and the phono pickup rebuilt. Nice to have one that is not a "project" waiting and making me feel guilty!

Sorry. Icon_redface Mis-unterstood your post Tom. Good luck with our new find. The 96/296 is a good example of a good performing TRF.