Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 84-B Early Model

I took a chance at the local Antique Shop and purchased a Philco 84-B Cathedral.

It's rather a cute style in a smaller radio. The wood is in pretty good condition. It is missing the Tuning Knob but everything else seems to be there. So far I have just set it on the shelf to admire for a while until it gets it's turn for a restore. I have about 5 old radios sitting in line ahead of this one.
[Image: https://sites.google.com/a/tds.net/white..._small.JPG]

G.

Gee it looks alot like an 84B.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

OOPS Terry-

I did miss on that model number. Must have fat fingered the typing or my mind was thinking about the 1934 model year? Anyway I have corrected the post.

Thank you

G.

no big deal! I was trying to remember that a model 34 was. I think it's a battery job. With the 84B it's time to break
out the #36Ga wire and a bunch of hi value resistors.
Good luck w/it
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Should be a good resto candidate. Simple circuitry and fairly easy to find parts incl power transformer. Cabinet looks solid.

Terry

That remark about the 36 ga wire has me scarred. Where is that wire used? I sure hope I don't have to deal with it.

Probably won't start into this radio until the fall/winter season. Too much to do now with Spring & Summer approaching.

G.

Oh it's not too scary! On lot of the early Philcos the primary of the of the anttena coil and the feedback winding of the oscillator coil go open. The small cotton covered wire rots and you will see green spot in the winding. You can check it with an ohm meter all should measure a very low resistance like a few ohms. If not it's time to rewind!
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It looks pretty good. If it still has the tuning pointer, don't lose it. Osc coil is pretty easy. I think the plastic strip degrades and causes acid eating the copper wire. I did one on a 60 about 15 years ago and I dug out today and plugged it in. It still works and has been on all day, about 9 hours now.

Icon_idea Some time ago I received an 84B for servicing,while checking I found the antennna and osc. coil open ,tried to rewind the coils without success and the owner was asking for his radio,as a very last resort I asked to myself:Could it be possible to make an oscillator circuit transplant?I tried that by removing the complete oscillator circuit of a 1972 AA5 Silvertone clock radio and rewire it into the 84B,and for the open primary of the antenna coil I reconnect the coupling capacitor to the secondary side,after realigment the radio came to full life and the customer was very happy.
7estatdef Wrote:Oh it's not too scary! On lot of the early Philcos the primary of the of the anttena coil and the feedback winding of the oscillator coil go open. The small cotton covered wire rots and you will see green spot in the winding. You can check it with an ohm meter all should measure a very low resistance like a few ohms. If not it's time to rewind!
Terry

It's far easier to rewind than to redesign the mixer circuit. Best I remember it's about 25 or 30 turns of magnet wire. The only trick to it is you have to wind it in the same direction as the original. If you don't it won't oscillate. If that happens just switch the wires that are soldered to the terminals on the coil, not the magnet wire. Should work fine.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well, thanks for all of your input for this old Philco !

I am finally back on it again. I changed the electrolytics. Checked the voltages using a dim bulb tester and they are pretty close. I injected an audio signal in the #42 and #77 IF tube and get plenty of volume out of the speaker.

I injected RF 460KC into the IF transformer and again hear the tone from the speaker.

PROBLEM: For testing the receiving function of this radio do I need a ground hooked to it's terminal ? I don't have a ground to use. I have a long wire outdoors for the antenna. I do not receive any stations.

While checking resistances, I'm thinking that the Osc. coil is open. This could be my worst nightmare !

G.

If that is your worst nightmares you live a charmed life!!! Don't work yourself up into a panic it's easy. The set will play with out a gnd but the volume control won't work properly( you won't be able to turn the volume down completely). It will receive better with it than without it. Just for laughs turn the volume all the way up set unplugged from the wall and measure the resistance across the ANT and GND terminals. Should read a few ohms. if not guess what???
Terry

Sooouuuuulll Maaaaan! (Let's see who gets this reference! Hint: The 84B made an appearance in the skit!) Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

Terry, I just checked the radio as you suggested.

The volume control measures per spec.

Ant. to Gnd measures 9.6 ohms, so the Antenna Coil is good.

What I suspect is that part of the Oscillator Coil is open. It's located in that middle can on the chassis.

G.

Jayce Wrote:Sooouuuuulll Maaaaan!

First I thought Sam & Dave, but you mentioned "skit" so you must mean the Blues Brothers...right?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN