Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FrankenPhilco extreme

Almost everyone dislikes Frankenradios but when a real junker arrives and it's not a rare model, it's fun to experiment and see where things will end up. This is a description of one of those junkers and three years of playing with it; sorry if I offend any purists:

The project is a 37-620 tombstone. I got it several years ago when it needed a dial, speaker, and power and audio transformers; the finish was long gone too. Replacing the power transformer required moving the rectifier to the chassis and mounting a 5Y3; it got a Rock Sea dial, one of those horrible ivory colored jobs that I had to overspray with clear orange for the right Philco color; the speaker became an 8" 20w full fidelity PM type with a choke and new audio transformer mounted to it. The 6F6 audio tube was rewired for a stronger 6L6; with a higher B+ from the new power transformer, two 0D3 regulator tubes were added in the former filter cap chassis holes to drop it to a regulated 300V. After this the AGC and audio detectors were solid-stated. Shielded cable replaced and RF and IF grid leads; metal tubes are used when possible.

Not content with the distortion in the audio stage, I added an additional tube, a 6J7 sharp cut-off pentode, into the hole formerly occupied by a large cap in the center of the RF deck. A socket fit perfectly in the hole. The new 6J7 is now a detector/audio amp with very low distortion and very high output and eliminated the need for the 6Q7. Fixed bias for this 6J7 was taken from the lowest tap on the B- resistor. The very high output from the 6J7 is perfect for driving the 6L6 and yields a nearly distortion-free full 11 watts audio output. (Even with my bad hearing it is never turned up very high)

The 6Q7 socket, no longer being used, was rewired for a twin-triode 6N7 which serves as a low and high freq emphasis amplifier; it is fed by filtered audio detected from the IF and re-inserted at the grid of the new 6J7 through a resistor network. This is a marginally effective circuit which may be eliminated and made into something else eventually.

Also while playing with the circuitry, I moved my four component LED tuning indicator to a position just above the tuning knobs- a terrific improvement which replaces shadow meters. (eventually I'll get around to posting the very simple and effective circuit)

The cabinet was refinished in walnut stain with a nice looking very dark sprayed highlighted edges. A large escutcheon from a floor model replaced the smaller original with a bit of wood cutting. Except for the tuning knobs, I elected to use a set of non-Philco knobs; after all, this radio isn't really a Philco anymore.

I recorded none of the schematic changes; the new circuits and applications are wired according to the data in any tube manual.

That's it. I'm ready for the volley of criticism for destroying a Philco. Fire away.....

Pete AI2V

No criticism from me; quite the contrary, actually...I commend you for taking a bit of trash and turning it into a modified treasure.

I've hot-rodded an 89 and a 71; both were extreme rust buckets, so I feel no guilt in modifying them. I converted both from the original 36 autodyne detectors to 6A7 tubes as first detectors/oscillators.

I would really, really like to see the circuit for that LED tuning indicator.

How did you make a 6J7 into an audio detector as well as audio amp? Oh, never mind; I see you added diodes for the second detector and AVC.

11 watts, eh? Now that's cool! 8) Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I, for one, would LOVE to see photos of this beast!

Here are pics of the former 37-620 and the LED tuning indicator schematic. The schematic is my design and is for Philco's primarily. Most other manufacturers do not have the same B+ wiring as the Philco's so it will not be always easy to adapt to these non-Philcos.

On the LED circuit I found that 5mm 4K brilliance LED's work best. If you try the 10cm or the super brights, they won't work well at all. The 4k's are plenty bright enough. The theory is very simple: if you were to put an LED across a B+ line resistor when the load circuit is at resonance, the LED will go dark since current is minimal. What's done here is to create another voltage close to the B+ using the zener; when the load is tuned to resonance, the LED will see enough voltage difference from B+ minus the zener voltage relative to the B+ and it will light.

Other value zeners work as well and none of the components are critical; they may need to be customized for whatever LED's one has handy. Feel free to spread the schematic around.

Pete AI2V

Ron- I forgot to say that a 6J7 can be used as a high output detector; check your RCA tube manual. It's from this info that I built the fairly simple circuit.

Pete AI2V

Neat!!!! Color me impressed!!!

Really like the mod's you have done to your radio. Would you do another? I have one that I can't seem to find any real time to get to lately.

Thanks to all for the positive comments! I really want to hear from those who are using the tuning LED circuit before I post it on other forums; remember that for each application of the circuit, values may need to be adjusted.

Ram- I have so many projects on the burner that I wouldn't have time to take on any more. Retirement and radios keep me extremely busy.

Pete AI2V

I don't quite understand why people dislike them modified radios. Giving a 2nd (or 3rd) life to something instead of junking it can't be wrong. Not prime collector item, I agree, but still something a lot better then trashing out.

-Mars

Marsupial Wrote:I don't quite understand why people dislike them modified radios. Giving a 2nd (or 3rd) life to something instead of junking it can't be wrong. Not prime collector item, I agree, but still something a lot better then trashing out.

It depends on what it is and what condition it is in. In this case a 37-620 is far from being a rare radio, and in this case it sounds like it was nearly a junker, if it was a nice original that was modified I would think differently. What I hate is people gutting an otherwise easily restored radio to put a computer, a video game console, or an MP3 player, three examples of Chinese made disposable consumer electronics that typically end up in the dump after five years regardless of what you house them in, no new lease on life there at all. If they want to do this they should at least use an empty cabinet not ruin a set that has survived 70-80 years. There was one guy on the other forum who was going to do this with a 15 tube Zenith shutter dial set that he inherited (worth over $1000 in some cases) until people talked him out of it offering him an empty cabinet of his choice.
Regards
Arran