Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-629 chassis equivalent?

Hello -

I have a very "sick" 41-629 and I am looking for a new chassis for it (broken tube sockets, missing wires, etc). Apparently the 629 was not so popular and, apparently, is neither "desired" nor "valuable," for better or worse.

I was hoping that someone with more experience than me (read: most people) might know if there is a mechanically equivalent chassis in another model which I could use in its place. For example, I believe some Philcos shared a chassis between a table top and console model or two console models with a different cabinet, etc, etc.

Questions:
- does anyone know off-hand of such an equivalent?
- does anyone know how I can identify the chassis number, etc, to find this info for myself, otherwise?

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Matt

I just looked up the 41-629 service info, and it looks like the 41-629 chassis is unique to that model.

The 42-1008 and 42-1009 chassis is similar enough that you could use one as a replacement, if your 41-629 chassis is not repairable. You will have to adapt the phonograph wiring harness from the 629 to the 1008, assuming you still have your original 1941 Beam of Light changer in your 629.

The SW coverage of the 1008-1009 is slightly different than the 629: 9 to 12 mc in the 629, 9 to 15.5 mc in the 1008-1009.

As a bonus, the 1008-1009 chassis uses a 5Y4 rectifier, instead of the 6X5 used in the 41-629. Otherwise, the circuitry of both look very similar. They seem to be the same size physically, as well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you kindly for your advice! I do not believe that he has any interest in the phonograph aspect, so that is good news for me.

I will keep looking and hopefully find something local.

Matt