Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More 296 questions

I still wish I could post photos of this beauty. Just got a nice Saturday Evening Post full page ad of this model from July, 30. Does anyone know how many of this model were produced? How do you detach the phono pickup for overhaul? Any source of repro instruction sheets for these old ones? The TRF receiver is working great-comparable to a 5 tube superhet at least, I think. I went from a 4 foot to a 15 foot wire behind the couch for antenna. Wonder if it is adaptable to a loop of some sort.

Without researching this, I believe that the pickup is an RCA magnetic horseshoe type, with the cobra-like "Inertia" arm. Philco bought pickups from RCA for sevedral of their phonographs.

If I'm correct, there will be one screw in the arm, immediately behind the pickup head. Remove that screw and the hex nut below. The pickup head can then be pulled out from the arm, and there is a two pin plug that is pulled out of the head.

These pickup heads can be rebuilt by George Epple, in Baltimore, Maryland. He has an e-mail address, but I don't know what it is just now. George is as honest as anyone could be, and can put you back in operation.

Thanks, I had emailed him with photos and he replied, but did not give any instructions on removal. It is a horseshoe type magnet, I guess. I took that bolt out but there was not much slack in the wires, and I did not know how they were connected to the pickup, so I sure didn't yank on it. I took the cover off the pickup itself, and could see two conns. behind the magnet. At least there seems to be continuity thru the coil. If he can make the phono work as good as the radio, I will be happy. Saw a 96 radio chassis for sale on ebay yesterday, but it is not real clean and original looking(above the chassis) like mine. Rx. is great. Maybe someone at some time recapped, or replaced the block, etc, but I can't tell and am afraid to tear into it as long as it works! In process of gathering tube spares now. Anyone have production figures on this?