Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New member with model 71 questions.

Hi to everyone!
I'm a new member of the phorum and this is my first post.
I've been collecting antique radio's since I started High School back in 1979. I enjoy all different makes of radios, but Philco's are my favorites and make up the bulk of my collection. My main area of interest are set's from the 1920's up to WW2.
Anyway, my question concerns the model 71. Years back, an old collector I was friends with decided to sell off his collection. I bought several things from him over the years when he needed extra cash. He gave me an incomplete Philco 71 console radio. I recently pulled it out with the idea of restoring it. After looking it over I'm confused. The cabinet is the same design as the 91X console, which is similiar to the Model 15 but deeper and without the columns. inside the cabinet is the layout label which clearly says model 71 and 22 but shows in the picture a chassis with a shadowmeter and individual tube shields. the chassis I received with the radio has no shadowmeter and has a ganged style tube shield similiar to a model 70. My guess is that this chassis is not original to this set, but is identical to a model 71 cathedral I have.
My question is, were there differences in the 71 chassis between the different models? I was not aware the 71's had a shadowmeter at all, but my cabinet shows one on the cabinet diagram plus the escutcheon also has the slot for one.
Also, my cabinet has an inclined sounding board with holes for two speakers. Did this model 71 come with two speakers? The speaker that was in the set is not original.
Is this model uncommon? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Kevin

Hello and welcome!

I can answer all of your questions...but to do so in detail will take a little time, and it's bedtime in the Eastern Time Zone Icon_yawn

Very quickly, let me say that yes, Philco made a 71X...you can find details here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1932c.htm#h

Stay tuned for more tomorrow...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

More on the 71...

Sometime between Fall 1932 and January 1933, Philco began installing shadowmeters on model 71 at the factory. Philco also offered kits with instructions to convert older 71 sets to use shadowmeters. The instructions are reprinted in Rider's Manual, I do not remember which volume right now.

The later 71 chassis not only have shadowmeters, but also did away with the large tube shield. In its place, individual cylindrical tube shields were used over the three front end tubes.

There were 71 sets that were built to use two speakers, and these include most console versions.

Is your model uncommon? Yes, I would say so. Uncommon enough that I could use a photo of one for the Philco Gallery (hint, hint). ;)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey Ron,
Thank you so much for the info! It all makes total sense. It sounds like I have a "Frankenradio" on my hands. But seeing as I got it for free, I'm not too annoyed!!
Anyway, the cabinet is in good shape. I may just fix the chassis I have and get a correct speaker for it and use it as is. Unless someone has a late 71 chassis and dual speakers they want to sell!
I will be happy to send you some pics of my 71 cosole when I get it cleaned up.
Kevin

Great, I shall look forward to the pictures Icon_biggrin

You can add a shadow meter to your 71 if it has the brackets to mount the meter on. If not, a junk 91 or 18 will have the brackets (and maybe the meter also). This way, you could fix the chassis you have and use it in your 71X cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Now that you mention it Ron, I think I have the Philco Dealer instructions on aftermarket Shadowmeter installation for the Model 71 somewhere in my archive. Sounds familar....

Chuck

That would be cool to share. Icon_biggrin

I only have the one-page sheet from Rider's which is probably based on the Philco dealer instructions.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Will try to dig it up. Not sure if it's one or more pages.

Chuck