Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Use old existing wires or rewire, Model 65

One more question on this Model 65. At what point do you replace the existing wire with new?

I've looked over the wiring on this chassis. It's fairly original, with a few very old replacements (everything is cloth covered.) The wires are all stiff and brittle. In most cases, I can replace components without damaging the shield. And for the most part, the wire jackets are intact.

However, I'm also starting to find places where the jacket's worn through on some wires. I found a hidden bit of this when replacing one of the chokes; the worn part was underneath where I couldn't see it, and I only found it b/c I removed a section to wire in the choke. Inspection would have been impossible; if I'd lifted that wire enough to inpect it it would have cracked the jacket.

At what point do you decide that a complete rewire is in order, vs. just swapping out a few here and there?

If you can slip a clear piece of shrink tube on the wire, I would. If not I guess, it is a judgment call. I try to not replace, but if it means safety, I will. My 87 and 77 have 99% of their original wires. I shrink tubed some wires and replaced some to the coils with original style black cotton push back wire, found at Antique Radio Supply. Good Luck.

Richard

I am just about done rebuilding my 37-690, which is quite a job. The condition of the wiring in this set was about what I'm used to seeing in mid 30's Philcos. It was faded, dirty looking, with brittle insulation. I made the decision to replace all of the chassis wiring with new cloth covered wire that is lacquered. I followed the color code when replacing the wire. Also replaced all capacitors, (electrolytics, wax paper, and micas), and resistors too. I wanted a safe, and reliable radio that would perform like it was engineered to perform.

I think that, while you can get by leaving in this old wire, you have to consider that it has aged, and is failing. With a big project like a 37-690, you don't want to have to go back and change anything that could fail. I noticed a lot of places where the wire was in contact with a sharp edge. I found places on some of the wires where the cloth was gone, and the wire was relying on some of the dried out rubber for insulation. I did not like that.

To sum it up, with my big sets, if the wire is not flexible, and there might be a chance for a problem, I do replace it with what is close to original. There are a lot of choices out there for replacement wiring that looks like it belongs in the radio.

This gives me peace of mind for safety and performance.