Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

American Bosch 515

Icon_wave Hello Gents- Have an American Bosch model 515 and just wanted a little back ground on set. Good -bad etc.
Thanks Mickey

Hi Mickey

I am not familiar with this particular set. I just looked it up, and it looks straightforward enough that it should not be a big problem to recap and get going again.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Icon_thumbup Thanks Ron, appreciate your reply and happy Easter to you and yours.
Mickey

I don't have the data on that Bosch set, but if it's one of the sets with the square, full illuminated dial scale, it should be a pretty nice set, decently designed, and easy to service.

In the early thirties, American Bosch made radios for Westinghouse. RCA had been making them, but around 1932 or so, Westinghouse switched to Bosch. I have a few of the 1936-ish Westinghouse sets, that are glaringly Bosch. I've re-capped a couple of them, and they're nice sets.

Doug Houston Wrote:I don't have the data on that Bosch set, but if it's one of the sets with the square, full illuminated dial scale, it should be a pretty nice set, decently designed, and easy to service.

In the early thirties, American Bosch made radios for Westinghouse. RCA had been making them, but around 1932 or so, Westinghouse switched to Bosch. I have a few of the 1936-ish Westinghouse sets, that are glaringly Bosch. I've re-capped a couple of them, and they're nice sets.

There was also a connection between Northern Electric and American Bosch from about 1931-32 up until Bosch went belly up. If you look at Northern Electric sets from 1932 through 1937 they look almost like American Bosch sets in different cabinets, even the chassis are the same. What I don't know is the story behind them, Northern Electric had their own radio plants in Canada, very little in terms of assembled radios were imported during that time, so either Bosch designed the sets and N.E built them under license, or N.E designed the sets and American Bosch built them under license. It's possible that N.E did the engineering work since they were a division of Ma Bell, they were quite capable of it. Perhaps Bosch supplied a few specialized parts, much like Philco in the U.S did for Philco of Canada, but they had to have been built in Canada due to the import restrictions, something worth investigating there.
I recently ran across an American Westinghouse table set that was glaringly built by Stromberg Carlson, I sort of wish that I would have picked it up just because of the chassis inside. It had a 9 tube chassis but the cabinet had all of the appeal of a CIL box, which is surprising for a 1939 model year radio. It's strange that American Westinghouse made little to nothing of their own after 1930 but Canadian Westinghouse designed and built their own unique models from 1936 onward.
Regards
Arran

Hi Mickey
As a few have said looks like a pretty straight forward superhet. The mixer tube is a little odd 6F7. It's not a very popular one. Covers two bands AM and the old police band with an IF of 465KC. Back in the 1930's the bc band ended at 1500KC. Now it up to 1700KC or so this means that it will cover the new bc band and then some. There is the 160 meter amateur band which covers from 1700KC to 2000KC or so At 2500KC there's WWV the nation bureau of standards time,frequency,and propagation reports.
Here the service info:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/317/M0022317.htm

Enjoy!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Icon_biggrin Want to thank all of you for your advise and help, r.b. is coming along.

I see nostalgiaair.org has the tech data for that model, but I went to that Italian website that has Am. Bosch radios and that one is not included. I picked up a working nice looking Am. Bosch 402 for 35$ this past weekend. Lacks the wooden rear cover but am gonna try to make a replacement replica. Very small wood set for 1935 and simple in design, no fancy trim or pointy finials sticking out of it. It does have that white stripe around the front of the case. That must have been a Bosch feature since I also saw it on other models dating back to the 20s.

Good find! I have an AB 670C console that I refurbished (cabinet and chassis) a few years ago. It is a "looker" and plays well. I hope you have good luck on yours.
Art