Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atwater Kent Big Box

I've got two AK 20's left over from the restoration I did on my AK 20 , I got these if I need any extra parts , they are what I call fair to very poor, one could be restored, I'm thinking I do best by parting them out. What do you think? Ive got a couple 100 radios I should part with , there are some other sets out there I'd love to own .

Hi Bill
My thought is that AK used the same circuit and parts for a long time. The model 20 to the some of their early AC set are all about the same expect for the cabinets and a minor tweak to the circuit. In saying that seems like the only things I've need for the AK's are the audio transformers. If you look on ebay there's always few beatup battery sets and a few model 35's and or 40's.
I think I would take the better one and put it together to sell as a whole unit.
That and a dollar will get you a donut.
Good luck
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I had to replace my audios and grid resistors to get my 20 going.
My thoughts on the other two 20's is that on a GOOD day I might get $20 for them both
but parting them out I'd get $75-$100, shipping is a killer, This may seem a little cold, but I've talked to another collector that's been parting out nice sets and doing really good at it ,rather then selling whole radios. These two AK's are rather rough, and not all that rare.
Thank you for your thoughts, BILL

I don't have a problem with parting out rough radios in poor condition that either are unrestorable, or to the point that it would take a lot of time, effort and money to restore.

<rant>However, I do have a problem with parting out nice sets, and sets that would not take much effort to restore.

This recent butchery of a nice 116B on eBay is the most blatant example of profit chasing I have ever seen. As it turned out, the seller made less on the pieces than he would have on the entire set, and the chassis didn't even sell. And that's good. It would have served him right if none of the pieces had sold.

What is more important, people - making $$$$, or preserving history?

Let's just tear all of our radios apart and sell the pieces. Eventually, there won't be any left.</rant>

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This is the way I feel . The AK 20 I have in question has been exposed to the weather the cabinet is gray in color on the out side, the front panel has rust on it .
I have no interest in restoring this set as I've already have an AK 20 I restored. but there are people out there that would like a real tough project ,I did a few ,
I think of these old radios as a piece of history that gave a lot of joy to the owners. So I'm trying to deside to sell a project on eBay or parts for several projects

Ron Ramirez Wrote:<rant>However, I do have a problem with parting out nice sets, and sets that would not take much effort to restore.

This recent butchery of a nice 116B on eBay is the most blatant example of profit chasing I have ever seen. As it turned out, the seller made less on the pieces than he would have on the entire set, and the chassis didn't even sell. And that's good. It would have served him right if none of the pieces had sold.

What is more important, people - making $$$$, or preserving history?

Let's just tear all of our radios apart and sell the pieces. Eventually, there won't be any left.</rant>

Couldn't have said it better Ron. It is ridicules what people will do for a dollar.

-Keith