Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I confused on model 38-12 resistors

To whomever can straighten me out please:

I'm confused on the color coding of the resistors in the 38-12. They seem to be a cross between the old dogbone color coding and the current codes (reading bands from one end) and they appear to be original.

Here they are:

#1 R18 in Riders
brown body w/white brown yellow bands current code says 910K; Riders shows 190K; my meter reads 218K

#2 R24 in Riders
lavender body w/black lavender black bands current code says 7 ohms; Riders shows 70 ohms; my meter reads 71 ohms.

#3 Riders doesn't show
yellow body w/black yellow green bands current code says 400K; my meter reads 3.93 meg

#4 Riders R9
brown body w/black brown green bands current code says 100K Riders shows 2 meg; my meters reads 3.03 meg

#5 Riders R11
yellow body w/black yellow orange bands current code says 4K; Riders shows 40K; my meter reads 76K

#6 Riders R13
green body w/brown green yellow(I think--could be orange) current code says 150K Riders says 51 K; my meter reads 62K

#7 Riders R5
green body w/ brown green orange bands current code says 15K; Riders says 51K; my meters reads 55K

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

For a nickel apiece I'd just replace them.

Please read:
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/resistor.htm

The original resistors in the 38-12 will follow the color coding as explained under "A Word about Color Codes" on the page linked above.

You see one stripe at one end of a resistor, and another stripe in the middle, with the rest of the resistor body a third color, yes?

So, let's take each of your resistors in sequence...

#1. Brown body, white stripe on end, yellow stripe in middle = 1 9 0000 = 190K
#2. Lavender (violet) body, black stripe on end, black stripe in middle = 7 0 .0 = 70 ohms
#3. Yellow body, black stripe on end, green stripe in middle = 4 0 00000 = 4 meg
#4. Brown body, black stripe on end, green stripe in middle = 1 0 00000 = 1 meg. If it were a 2 meg resistor, it would have a red body.
#5. Yellow body, black stripe on end, orange stripe in middle = 4 0 000 = 40K
#6. Green body, brown stripe on end, yellow stripe in middle = 5 1 0000 = 510K. So that "yellow" stripe is probably an orange stripe, which would make it 5 1 000 = 51K.
#7. Green body, brown stripe on end, orange stripe in middle = 5 1 000 = 51K.

See, it isn't that difficult once you get used to the fact that what appears to be a second stripe is actually part of the resistor body color.

And, your first, second, third and seventh resistors are within 20% tolerance. The others are outside the permissible 20% tolerance and must be replaced.

Edit: I see Codefox posted as I was typing. I agree with his comment. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

codefox1 Wrote:For a nickel apiece I'd just replace them.
I'm replacing them if necessary; just needed to understand the color code system before I did that. Would not be good to put 910K in as a replacement for 190K. Icon_eek
Thanks.

Thanks for your help Ron. I really appreciate it!!!!! Now to tackle that sole capacitor block in it. This set has been worked (hacked) on before.

Art