Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

help on 37-620

This was posted with other requests, so I hope Ron doesn't object to a specific request. There are two wax caps under the RF section stuffed right up against the front of the chassis. One can barely see them looking from the bottom, covered by coils and trimmers. I worked today on another chassis I have to see if I could get to them. Well, after removing lots of screws and lifting the top of the RF chassis, no way. Not enough room to even see them. Someone must have had to change these before. Love to know how. Where are you Ron? Or perhaps others?
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

HI Jerry,
This post talks about the RF subchassis and the caps mounted inside.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15

I had to do a 38-3 which has an RF unit, but not sure if it was as tight as your set.
Having to work with long nosed pliers, hemostats, I was able to recap them.

I couldn't find a photo of the underside of your chassis, can you post a photo just to see what you are up against?

Good luck.

Hi Gary, so nice to meet you on another Phorum. I could take and post a picture but I have to tell you, from the underside you can only see them with a focused light, and then only see one end of one. The only way I knew there were two was from the top side of the chassis, you can see through a cut-out that there is actually two of them. Then, only a small part. I believe I posted that pic on ARF. I could probably cut one lead or two off one or two of the caps from the bottom, if I had some type of hemostat type cutter, but would never be able to get anything back in. Who ever designed this should be forced to replace them. I guess at best I will just pray, they are not too bad.
Little edit to this, the link shown shows the removal of the whole RF module, trust me, removal won't get me to the two caps. I tried loosening up the coils in the way, but the trimmer caps (riveted in place) still blocked the view. I have done a few uglies, but this is really the worse. I could hold the RF section out in my hands and still not get to those dang caps.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.