Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Finally finished - a Philco 650B

Hi Ron,

Great Job as always, just what we expect coming from one of the Top Philco Gurus. Icon_thumbup

I have one painted "white" Icon_eek Long Story, was told I was getting a 116B. Icon_eek Least it had it's original & infamous K-17 speaker. Icon_biggrin

I have removed "Almost All" the paint from the top & sides of my cabinet, still has a milky tinge to it Icon_rolleyes , haven't went after the front yet.

I see that your cabinet now has the 2-tone finish instead of the original finish that was on it. What dictates going that route? As I might have to do something Imaginative to my cabinet.

Confused once again,
Lloyd

Lloyd

The original finish was two-tone. The extra dark walnut on the top and sides of 1936 Philco models had a habit of coming off over the decades, making the cabinets appear to be a single color when they are not supposed to be. Anyone who says this cabinet isn't supposed to be two-tone does not know what they are talking about. Period, end of story.

I apologize for sounding harsh, but I'm starting to get tired of misinformation handed out by self-proclaimed "experts" being passed off as facts (and I don't mean you, Lloyd).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Very best!

Icon_eek Icon_eek Icon_eek Yikes!! Icon_lol

I guess I should apologize, I was just assuming from your pictures that it was. Neither an "expert" nor layman told me that information. I'm just a Noob to Philcos, as you know, asking a question. I try to read all I can, but never came across this subject before, that the two-toners were just '36 shouldered tombstones models. Maybe the experts should harp a little more about this subject so us noobs get it straight.

Well, a two-tone refinish should help my "whiteish" situation out a little.

Back inside my cave, Icon_sad
Lloyd

No apology needed - as I said, my "diatribe" was not directed towards you, Lloyd. If you felt that it was directed toward you (and I assure you it was not), I apologize to you.

I, for one, would like to see photos of your white 650B.

There are other Philco models that have the two-tone colors. When you have some free time, take a leisurely browse through my site's Gallery to get an idea of just how many Philcos were produced with tinted lacquer in more than one color.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/index.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You Never have to apologize to me Ron,

I know that wasn't directed AT me. Icon_smile Heck, all we been through so far in the last months, you can call me a "box of Fruit Loops" Icon_lol & I'll still hang on your every word when it comes to these Philcos. Icon_wink

I don't see why you really want to see a white faced 650B? I did remove the flaking paint off the sides & top. I think it was latex & it still has a milkish white residue. Don't want to sand or steel wool it down any farther, for fear of breaking through the veneer. Icon_eek Also don't want to try to use any chemicals for fear of saturating the residue into the veneer more. Icon_rolleyes

As a matter of fact I just perused the 1st half of the gallery this afternoon thru about '35. Big discussion going on at ARF discussion forum about TAForbes 116H !! Icon_crazy I usually don't get into these conundrums. Now someone from AZ says he has one!! Icon_eek yeah right Icon_crazy SHOW ME the picture. 8)

I've already posted twice, was thinking I was going to have to pull my foot out of my mouth. Icon_smile Then John directed me to the thread in here, 4-15-11 & I read your comments
WHEW, Please go over there & read it & give me some back up Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol I still feel I'm the ONLY ONE making the Good Judgement call. Icon_biggrin

Talk atcha later,
Lloyd