Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dogbone Resistors In A GE S22 - Two Color?

I bought a GE S22 tombstone in Charlotte this year and just started restoring the chassis last night... I saw something that I don't remember seeing on any other dogbone type resistors, Two Colors and NOT Three! No kidding, the resistors I've looked at so far "look" mint and there is no paint peeling off. The typical (BED) body end dot rule doesn't seem to apply here. Aside from Riders, is there a way to determine what the value is supposed to be by looking at the colors? There are ONLY two colors, the body and the end, and they were pretty generous by lapping color from the end of the resistor onto the body of the resistor. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Although there are some archaic color codes I suspect in your model that the missing dot is the same color as the body. Match them up with the schematic and see if that works.

-Bill

Agree with all. Please measure them out of circuit and according to schematic. I've seen a few cases where the paint has just disappeared from components after decades, or just popped off like "domino" capacitors. It can get you crazy unless you know it can happen.

codefox1 Wrote:Agree with all. Please measure them out of circuit and according to schematic. I've seen a few cases where the paint has just disappeared from components after decades, or just popped off like "domino" capacitors. It can get you crazy unless you know it can happen.

I've seen what you're talking about before, but these dogbones look like they had just been installed, no kidding! However, the set hasn't been touched in 70 years as far as I can tell. The two color thing blows my mind! Boy I'd sure prefer to go by the B.E.D. method than to have to look at the schematic every time. Wonder if Picasso just forgot to finish painting them! LOL!! Icon_crazy