Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unknown 40-180 Switch/Jack

I've got a Philco 40-180 radio that was my great-granfathers. There is an extra switch & jack on the back that is not listed on the schematics and there is no remaining family members that remember.

Does anyone know what this might be used for?

Thanks

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

my guess is that great-grand-daddy made alterations to the radio.

Wilder guess is that the switch actually redirect the speaker to the jack, or something to that effect.

can you take pictures of the wiring?

-Mars

Most likely a switch for external audio input.
Switch selects "radio" or "aux in".

That would make lots of sense, essentially using the radio as an amp.

-Mars

Agree with Chuck, this was added later on and is, most likely, a phono jack.

I've been restoring a monster Philco 680 recently, and it also had a switch and RCA jack on the back of the chassis like this. I suspect this was done somewhat frequently to radios after they left the factory, as some customers probably wanted to be able to play records through their radio but chose not to purchase one of Philco's wireless phonographs which they made between 1939 and 1942.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This is the switch and phono plug that was on my 40-180. Yours look like this?

[Image: http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191...700a-1.jpg]

Larry

I did a similar thing to my Mom's old Philco, but this was a dptt that allowed regular reception and sharing of audio signal or two way intercom with the boy's room room upstairs, me being one of the boys. All's it took was a length of wire, another speaker, and an extra audio transformer, and of course the switch. My god, that was about 50 years ago!.

I swear I didn't see that pic when I posted mine yesterday! Oh well.

Larry

Here are some pix of the wiring inside. Not the cleanest in wiring jobs.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.