Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lafayette L5 deluxe

Any of you old radio buffs know anything about an old Lafayette model L5 deluxe lowboy radio?
Has a 12 tube chassis and 2 speakers.
Are these radios any good?
Are they worth anything?
I found out that they were just offered for sale in catalogs etc.
The one I am looking at is in real nice shape as far as the cabinet goes.
The radio is not working.Just humms.Probably needs caps etc.
I try to have a mix of different radios.There are so many really neat radios outh there.
I am running out of room though.These consoles take up alot of room.
Right now I have Philco,Radiola/Electrola,RCA,Zenith,Majestic,G.E and Stewart Warner.
Probably should have a Lafayette too.
What do you guy's think?
Murf

Oh yeah,I almost forgot to mention that I have an old Howard console as well as a Clarion console.
The Clarion has the power chord cut and all the tubes removed.
That one could be a good winter project.
For now I am trying to get the old Philco model 76 lowboy done.
Thats about it for this week.
Have a great day.
Murf

I don't know much about the LaFayette line, but eleven tubes and two speakers should make for a pretty good radio. The one you are looking at is a nice looking set.

I have a Clarion AC60 that I have intended to make work "one of these days," but other projects keep getting in the way.

murf Wrote:Oh yeah,I almost forgot to mention that I have an old Howard console as well as a Clarion console.
The Clarion has the power chord cut and all the tubes removed.
That one could be a good winter project.
For now I am trying to get the old Philco model 76 lowboy done.
Thats about it for this week.
Have a great day.
Murf

This is the Philco section, there is a forum on non Philco makes of radio elsewhere on this site, perhaps you may want to post about these sets there if you want more answers for things other then the Philco 76 lowboy.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the heads up, Arran - this thread is now in the proper section. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

To the guy tht offered a model H speaker for a Philco model 76.
I could probably go $25 shipped,but tht is about it.
Let me know please.
I paid $15 for the radio,and can't afford to go too high on a speaker.
Thanks
Kevin

Could you please stick to one radio at a time in a thread, the Philco 76 is in another thread and it gets hard for people to follow when you bring up parts for one make and model of radio in a thread about another make and model. In answer to your quiries about the speaker the radio is worth more then $15 if it is in half decent shape and complete, up to $50-60 as is. If it were me I would investigate repairing the one you have if the field coil is sound and you don't want to spend the money on a replacement.
Regards
Arran

Arran Wrote:Could you please stick to one radio at a time in a thread, the Philco 76 is in another thread and it gets hard for people to follow when you bring up parts for one make and model of radio in a thread about another make and model. In answer to your quiries about the speaker the radio is worth more then $15 if it is in half decent shape and complete, up to $50-60 as is. If it were me I would investigate repairing the one you have if the field coil is sound and you don't want to spend the money on a replacement.
Regards
Arran

Will do.
Thanks