Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-380 safety cap

Agree with all , but I would not bet my life on the fact that the outlet you plug into is wired correctly. Just be careful!

Okay, now I understand " safety caps" They are somewhat misleading but I guess there a good idea anyway as they fail open. thank you to all the replies on the subject.

I've said it more than twice, here and there, but don't ever bet your life on a 3 prong outlet, polarized cord, or anything else prone to human error (including my own.)

Agreeing with codefox.

Unless you have tested them, consider they might be wrongly wired. In my house, most of the ones in the basement had to be rewired;

some had hot & neutral reversed.
some had no ground
some I still don't understand what they were trying to do when they wired that.

Now, without betting your life on it, having safety measures can't be as worst than having none.

-Mars

I like moving the line capacitors (electrically at least) to the radio side of the power switch. Whether they are "safety" capacitors or not I don't think that it's wise leaving any component with full line voltage across it any time while the set is plugged in. Zenith was doing this right into the 1960s, it is a practice that was never allowed by the electrical code in Canada along with hot chassis AC/DC sets.
Regards
Arran

So, by the code in Canada, the line filters shouldn't be "always connected" but placed "after the power switch"?

(it makes sense, less power wasted for "waiting")

-Mars