Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1929 model 76 lowboy with tapestry

Hello everyone,
New member here and new to radio restoration...We have 2 Philco's so far. Icon_thumbup The other day we came across a very nice original model 76 lowboy from 1929 with the open tapestry. This Philco belonged to a very old woman. The cabinet has a few small scratches on one side.The gentleman says it works after it warms up for about 5 minutes. I really didn't want him to plug it in at the time,so I don't know if it works and what work has been done to it. What do you think is a fair price for this? My wife and like it very much. Here is a picture of it with a older flip cell phone.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

I've bought three similar sets around here for $10-40. Your wood looks in much better shape so I would guess up to $100 if it has all the tubes. Be aware it uses two 45 tubes which are a bit expensive to replace. When a seller says just needs a tube or two, you can usually be sure they are not the cheapest ones.

Yes, at a local auction/swap meet these may go for next to nothing, but if I really like a particular set I'll pay a little more to a private party. I like hearing the history of it and sometimes you luck out and get original paperwork with it.

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

Thank you for the quick response. This is in an antique shop in one of our expensive suburbs.They have it priced at $279.00... I have no intention on paying that price. When I get a chance I'll head back there and take a closer look..and see if he's willing to deal.

Chicago Jimmy Wrote:Thank you for the quick response. This is in an antique shop in one of our expensive suburbs.They have it priced at $279.00... I have no intention on paying that price. When I get a chance I'll head back there and take a closer look..and see if he's willing to deal.

It's a typical four legged console from 1929-31, very few of these are what one would call high demand sets, model 76 Philcos aren't even close to being rare, they were a good performing set sold at a reasonable price at the time so there are a lot still around. If it were electrically restored it might be a $200 radio (more to the right person which isn't often), decent original, as is, maybe half that depending on how much you like it. If you like that cabinet there were model 95 and 96 versions sold as well which has a 9 tube chassis, the 96 also has an automatic volume control. If you really want one of these, or any other console from that era, for a reasonable price, the Antique Radio Club of Illinois has their swap meet coming up this summer.
Regards
Arran

P.S If anyone has spare knobs and a tube shield fro a Philco 96 please let me know, I need one of the small and one of the medium sized knobs in dark brown.

Quote:Antique Radio Club of Illinois has their swap meet coming up this summer.
They just had the outdoor swap meet at the DuPage county fairgrounds last Sunday,and their good one is in August in Willowbrook. I did get to last Sunday's swap...and looking forward to the August one.