• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 76 lowboy

You can fix the one you got.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Checked coil after removing from chassis and got 6.4 ohms across 2 terminals and 24.5 across the other 2 terminals.
Does not appear to be open.
Maybe a weak 24 tube?
If I touch the top of one the signal gets stronger.
Do the 24.5 readings seem too high for the one check?
If so what would cause a high reading?
Thanks,
Murf

According to mark oppat,it checks ok.
Still I get good reception if I hold the shaft for the volume,or even get clost to the top of one of my 24 tubes(the one closest to the antenna terminal.
Tried switching the 4 tubes around and it made no difference.
Whats next?

Well it does have continuity. 24 ohms does seem a bit high but I have seen some Philco antenna coils with a large winding on a bobbin inside the coil form. Go head and put it back in place.
When originally when you tested it did you have an antenna connected? Did you have the volume control (RF gain) turn up? If not by touching the grid cap your bypassing the volume control.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi again Terry,
Put it back in and seems to work,but the same problem.
Don't get much response off the antenna terminal,but if I get clost to that 24 tube,it gets better and better the closer I get to the 24 tube cap.
Receives a couple stations without antenna just fine,but I think it could be better with an antenna.
Maybe I will just have to keep my hand over the 24 tube when I want to listen to it.
Did you get my pics?
How can I post pics of the radio on here?
Looking at an old 1926 philco tombstone that looks good and still works for $25 now.
Wish me luck on that one.
I am not sure where to go on the other one now.
Let me know if you have anymore ideas.
Again,thanks for your help.
Murf

Well the antenna circuit on your set is double tuned. It has two antenna coils. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/192/M0040192.htm
We where looking at #3 but should have a look at #7. Check it for continuity.
One other possibility is that the first rf stage it is misaligned. It's not a tube issue.
Terry
ps Philco didn't make any sets before 1929 or so.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks again for the info Terry,
I don't suppose you could enlighten me as to which one of these coils is number 7?
I can,t make heads or tails of the schematics.
I can read blue prints as I am a tool and die maker by trade,but I am lost on schematics.
The number 3 that I worked on was the lower coil if the radio is standing on its side,transformers down on the table,if that makes any sense.
I sent some pics using your email address.Did you get them?
THanks a bunch for taking the time to help me out.
Murf

Sorry no pics yet. I'm not that well aquanted with the model 76. If you can get me some pics of the underside I can probably help you out.
There is a wire that one end is connected to #3 (the coil you removed) and another coil (that's #7) Measure the resistance from that wire to the chassis. Should be low like a few ohms. If that coil is open you will get the problems you've got.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry,
How can I send pics?
I tried sending them to your email address,but that did not work.

The only wire I had to remove that went to another coil was to the coil directly above the one I removed.

Also looks like the model number of the radio is a Philco 96.
The chassis has the number 76 marked on it in ink.
I assume that someone replaced the original chassis,or did the 96 come with a 76 radio chassis?

The model 96 (or 95) has nine tubes, the model 76 has seven tubes, the 85 or 86 has eight tubes. Philco liked to use the same cabinet with a different chassis quite a bit, so the 76, 86, and 96 may share the same cabinet, the model number is mostly for the chassis.
Regards
Arran