Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20 recapping

I'm rebuilding my 2nd Philco 20. The first is an early cathedral I did 10 yrs ago, this new one is a plain console w/o any scrollwork on the grille. I put the two chassis side by side and noticed several differences between them. The console has a .1 600v paper cap connected between chassis ground and the switched AC lead, soldered to one of the transformer primary lugs. The line cord is cloth type with non polarized plug. I can't quite figure out what the purpose of it is, but I'd imagine if it shorted it may burn in addition possibly making the chassis live depending on which way the plug was inserted into the wall. Anyone seen a 'fix' like this before?
Dave

Dave
Colo Spgs

That a/c line bypass is not needed Dave. Sounds like a previous repair person was in there. I'd carefully trace the circuit components against the schematic to be sure there are not other "mods" or possible mis-wire errors.

The radio has a power transformer and is not an AC/DC "hot-chassis" type set. Reversing the plug will do nothing or cause any safety hazzards.

The set does need, however, and external ground connection and an external antenna, so the chassis is already grounded.

I'd remove the old cap for safety, or install a Y-type safety cap in place of it. The Service Bulletin shows the Model 20 (or 21) never had any line bypass caps originally.