Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

low volume

I'm having a problem with low volume on a model 41-280. It's been recaped and I'm pretty confident the tubes are good. I'm picking up stations but the volume is very low even turned all the way up. I get nothing when I touch the center post of the vol. control with a screwdriver. I'm beginning to wonder if my problem could be either Icon_lolno with the vol. control or the speaker coil but i'm not sure how to go about testing these components. Any thoughts on this will really be apprecited.

williec Wrote:I'm having a problem with low volume on a model 41-280. It's been recaped and I'm pretty confident the tubes are good. I'm picking up stations but the volume is very low even turned all the way up. I get nothing when I touch the center post of the vol. control with a screwdriver. I'm beginning to wonder if my problem could be either Icon_lolno with the vol. control or the speaker coil but i'm not sure to go about testing these components. Any thoughts on this will really be apprecited.

Check the plate resistors in the audio stages and check the output transformer as well as whatever work you did. An ohm meter is an easy way to check both of these items, the output transformer on a range 1500 ohms or higher, the resistors on the 1 million ohm range if they are 100K or higher. If any are between 10,000 and 100,000 set the meter on the 100,000 ohm range to test them. If you find any suspect resistors I would just replace them, they are too cheap to worry about.
Regards
Arran

Hi Arran, Checking with a trouble light I found I wasn't getting anything at all out of the #2 transformer so I pulled it. Of the 4 wires I notice the white wire is really brittle the other 3 looked ok. I checked both the red/white and blue/green wires together and the needle went almost to zero. don't know if I checked this correctly or not. Can these be repaired or purchased anywhere? Thanks, Bill ps. it's a 32-3483 transformer.

Where was this transformer located? I don't have a parts list handy, was it near the type 84 tube under the chassis. If so then it is a common problem.
Regards
Arran