Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Boneyard rescue

One of my customers, who runs a recycling center, called me yesterday and said that someone had brought an old radio in to sell for scrap. Within 10 minutes a rather large, 9 tube Air Castle (Spiegel) radio was sitting on my desk. It doesn't have any markings on the chassis and the labels are missing, but by looking through schematics for something with the same tube line up, I think the chassis is a model 922. I've been searching the interweb for some potos but I can't find anything else like it. Is there anyone out there who's familiar with Spiegel / Air Castles? The cabinet is in really good shape for it's age, but the chassis has been hacked quite a bit. I've got my work cut out for me, but I'm looking forward to unscrapping this heap.

Good save! Sadly, our depressed economy is going to cause more and more of this as time goes by and people get deperate for money. Things are selling very well right now and people often need money right away.

No matter where you go, there you are.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...019479.pdf

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Does that Aircastle have thumbwheel dials on either side of a drum type dial with a tuning eye below the dial? Similar looking to this Airline:

Airline 93BR-715

There had been one at an antique mall a near Springfield, MO for a number of years. I first saw it there in about 2003. It was still there when I stopped last year with the same price on it. I thought about making an offer. I will be going by there next weekend so maybe I'll stop and try to make an offer on it if it is still there.

Sean
WØKPX