Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

One man's trash...

Is another man's treasure! This was found amongst four TVs dumped off for recycling at a local appliance shop.[attachment=0]
It's a 1964 RCA New Vista color console set with the round CRT. Cabinet is great and the set works enough to watch some. I think the tube is strong, but ugh how to repair that issue with the silicone behind the safety glass getting gunked up? Local TV shop still has some 21 inch round CRTs for these sets, so I will check the number and see what will all numbers will work with the set. This caps off my small TV collection.
P.S. This thing is 46.5 inches wide and is HEAVY! Next hobby is stamp collecting! Icon_lol

No matter where you go, there you are.

Check the videos of a you tube user that uses the handle Drh, he has a video on how to fix the faceplate. It's called a cataract by the way, it's what happens when the polyvinylacetate bonding agent breaks down between the safety glass and the faceplate of the picture tube. By the way, what were the other three TVs that were dropped off?
Regards
Arran

Arran Wrote:Check the videos of a you tube user that uses the handle Drh, he has a video on how to fix the faceplate. It's called a cataract by the way, it's what happens when the polyvinylacetate bonding agent breaks down between the safety glass and the faceplate of the picture tube. By the way, what were the other three TVs that were dropped off?
Regards
Arran
Thanks. I've heard of some way to repair these before, but wrangling with a CRT always makes e nervous.
To answer your question, there was also a 13 inch Zenith from 1980 and a 19 inch Zenith from 1992. My friend got those and they both work fine. The final set was ANOTHER 1964 RCA New Vista Color set in a stereo-phono combination console that was about 8ft across. It is safely tucked away inside the appliance shop for now.

Great... I was at the local TV shop that was supposed to have a few of the CRTs left for this set and struck out! We looked through every CRT box they had left and could not find the two CRTs that were supposed to fit this set in thier stock. After a check through thier records it turns out some guy from New York state bought a bunch of CRTs off them and he snagged all the roundie color CRTs they had left in the deal. Someone hadn't marked them off on the inventory after they were sold. So, later on I will be searching for a 21FJP22 or 21FKP22 CRT for either a replacement or spare. I'm not too thrilled right now as the one reason I got the set is because I knew of a source for a few spare tubes and even checked about it yesterday before going to get the set. Feh. Icon_problem