Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA V-100

I picked up an RCA V-100 at my local flea market this past weekend. This model is an AM Radio / Phonograph combination. The cabinet, dial, phono, knobs, trim etc are all in pretty decent shape. The chasis looks pretty original (from the top anyway -- haven't removed it yet). All tubes tested good.

One item I did notice that I will need to tend to along with the caps --- the speaker cone is about 90% disintegrated. This particular unit has a 5" electrodynamic speaker -- and from what I've gleaned - I'm not likely to find a replacement for it too easily. I haven't tested the field coil yet -- but presuming its good -- and since I'm a purist at heart -- I'd like to try to salvage the field coil and retrofit a new pm type speaker in the basket of the original one. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that's tried this -- to learn the caveats! Additionally - just in case the coil is bad - how would I wire a replacement coil/resistor combination to compensate for the original field coil??

Thanks in advance

Ira

If the field coil is good I would seriously consider reconing it.

The V-100 Is a nice little phono-radio, as many of RCA's sets wer. I haven't my service book within reach for that set,peaker is only a 5 inch, you're wasting time trying to resurrect a cheap speaker. I don't recall if the set has a transformerless power supply, or a power transformer. But your best bet is to just get a PM speaker that fits into the set well, and replace the field with a 2000 ohm 5 watt wire wound resistor.