Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-116

First let me say I've been a lurker her for awhile and this is my first post. Ron, Chuck, and the rest of you have helped me more than you'll ever know and I want to thank you.

I've been into this radio restoration thing for about a year now, all table models, with very good results. Ran across my first console, a 39-116 and was able to pick it up for 45 bucks.
It needs some veneer work, but the electrical looks complete and in very good shape. No magic remote, didn't know there was such a thing until researching after the buy.
Needless to say I'm am all beside myself.

What I want to ask is, although I've been an industrial electrician; automation and PLC's, for about 12 years, all this tube and RF technology is still new to me. I want to dig right in but maybe I should wait and try to learn more. What do you guys think? Also what do you think my chances are of acquiring a magic remote? I've been toying with the idea of building a modern version. What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi and welcome! I placed your post in a new thread of its own since it is unrelated to the 1936 model 116B.

Thank you for the kind words! Glad you're aboard.

$45 is a good price for a 39-116. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a Mystery Control remote for your 39-116. They show up on eBay quite frequently.

If you are unfamiliar with tube technology, I suggest you take some time to educate yourself on the subject. There are a few books available about tube radio restoration. You can also find info online. You can find some good pages, written with the beginner in mind, here:

http://www.antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

Building a modern version of a Mystery Control could be an interesting (if non-original) project. Here's a page you may enjoy viewing, which gives more info on the Mystery Control remote itself:

http://radiodemo.110mb.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

If you can solder/unsolder, use a VOM, and read a circuit diagram you can probably restore the set. The "Mystery Control" works by a pulse system similar to a rotary dial telephone except that it uses a radio transmitter instead of wires. You could build a home brew version just as an exercise but I don't think that the 1939-41 remote boxes are that hard to find since the radios always originally came with them and they are all the same. The early remotes that are harder to find are the wired ones that RCA and a few other companies offered as an extra cost accessory like for an 811K, but the Philco Mystery control sets always included the remote from the factory.
Regards
Arran