Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 15 x grille cloth

just purchased a philco 15 x in really nice origional condition but grill clothe is showing wear.does any one know which pattern of cloth is most like the origional

Pattern 40 from Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters is about as close to the original as you are going to get. Not exactly the same, but close:

http://www.grillecloth.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

thanks Ron i will get that one

Older Philco consoles can be "spruced up" nicely by using a velvet elvis painting for the grillecloth. I installed tiny black lights above the elvis painting grillecloth on my otherwise drab Philco model 201X to highlight the glow in the dark paint. It looks exxxxcelent......

i am sure that is a dazzling and interesting look and i too am a elvis fan but i wanted the look of 1933 in this classic console.

Another way to improve the looks of them is to affix baseball card stickers, post office wanted posters, or refrigerator magnets to the cabinet. Maybe a good way to realize the 1933 look would be to decoupage 1933 newspaper articles to the cabinet???

P.S. Don't take ANY of what I said seriously! BUT believe me, I have seen some awful things done to an otherwise nice radio for only God knows why. The one that I think appalled nearly all of us here was the fellow on eBay that dismantled a Philco 116B non shouldered tombstone cabinet and sold the cabinet and chassis parts. Oy vay !!!!

The 15X is a set that I would love to have someday! Good luck with it!

yeah... cabinet parts.

Quote:shipping is too expansive so I destroyed this otherwise perfectly preserved rare radio to prevent any interested buyers to pay me for shipping it. Maybe the parts will sell off?

If I recall he sold the tubes and that's about it.

-Mars

the previous owner removed most of the tubes from this one i found one in the socket and two 37 loose on top of the chassis and they tried to connect a rca jack and unhooked the big speaker and tried to connect a external speaker. luckly no permanent damage to anything.i would like to clean and keep the origional grille cloth but this is fading and worn to the point where i want to see what a new one looks like. the origional finish is still very presentable.found this one at a auction and there was little interest in it.