Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My new 37-116

Hey everyone!
Even though I keep telling myself that I'm not going to look for any more radios, I keep on doing it Icon_crazy !!!
I picked this 37-116x up today. It started off as a 60 mile trip to buy a working Model 20 that I saw on Craigslist. I like the early Philco's best and have been wanting to get a 20 for awhile. When I called the seller about it, he mentioned that he also had a 37-116 he was selling. At first I didn't think too much about it, but a 60 mile drive can get a guy to thinking Icon_rolleyes So, by the I got there the 20 had some stiff competition Icon_lol ! Long story short, the 37-116 came home with me, with the possibility of the 20 some other time! I know that Model 20's are fairly common whereas this set is NOT.
It's a very nice set in good original condition and is now the largest set I have at 15 tubes. It will keep my 15 and 200x company. The only thing is that 20 would have been a lot easier to find a place in the house for it!!!!! Fortunately, not being married saves my neck, although I am still kicking myself for being so weak Icon_wtf !!
Kevin

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Looks like a great find.

So when are you going back for the 20?

The 37-116 is nice, but I really like the old time gas pump next to your garage. Icon_smile

BTW, It looks like the audio driver/interstage transformer was replaced at some time in the past. The original type is shown in this pic of my 37-116. However, your 37-116 is in much better condition than mine. Congrats on your purchase.

[Image: http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/...7-116I.jpg]

Ed

Thanks for the photo Etech! I thought that transformer wasn't original. Other than that the radio is very clean and original. I did a little inspection and I thought I saw a new electrolytic cap peeking out from under the chassis pan. Will be taking a more thorough look tomorrow.
BTW- I have two gas pumps, one is not visible in the picture, a Wayne 615 and a Wayne 619. They guard the entrance to my garage!!
Kevin

I don't know the driver transformer looks like to one on mine and I think mine is oem. Nice SET!!!! There a great player too!!!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Those 37-116s are more common then you might think, although they aren't as common as a Philco 20, but since they built several hundred thousand Philco 20s there aren't many Philco models that outsold the 20 other then maybe the AC/DC sets of the 1940s. There were two versions of the 37-116, yours is the deluxe version which is the most common but there was a standard version without that "Teledial" automatic tuning feature that they stopped making about half way through the model year. The standard version didn't sell as well so there is maybe one of those for every three of the deluxe kind, but between the two they still managed to sell tens of thousands of 37-116s, according to Ron's book, it was very popular for a high end set.
It's funny that you should mention the Philco 20, that's one of the sets on my shopping list but I'm looking for the deluxe version not the plain brown wrapper version, I've always liked the looks of those.
Regards
Arran

Very nice find! Great shape!