Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can this be a 16B chassis?

Just wondering if I can use this chassis in a 16b tombstone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6631581160

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Hi Gary

Yes, that is indeed a Model 16 chassis - the early, 5-band version of the 16. It will physically fit in a cabinet designed for the 4-band 16, but be aware that the hole in your cabinet for the tuning shaft was made larger for the concentric knobs used for tuning on the 4-band version, and the hole may show if you install a 5-band chassis. The 5-band chassis does NOT have concentric tuning, it uses a single shaft that pulls out and pushes in to change speeds.

Did you win that one? Wow, the prices of 16 chassis are going through the roof. Have fun...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

mrphilco Wrote:Hi Gary

Yes, that is indeed a Model 16 chassis - the early, 5-band version of the 16. It will physically fit in a cabinet designed for the 4-band 16, but be aware that the hole in your cabinet for the tuning shaft was made larger for the concentric knobs used for tuning on the 4-band version, and the hole may show if you install a 5-band chassis. The 5-band chassis does NOT have concentric tuning, it uses a single shaft that pulls out and pushes in to change speeds.

Did you win that one? Wow, the prices of 16 chassis are going through the roof. Have fun...

Hey Ron,

That's good to hear. I assume other than what you mentioned above things like the speaker plug in, and it has a shadow meter like the other chassis does. Interesting about the concentric versus non concentric tuning though. I imagine there may be some improvisation in line for covering the hole in the current cabinet.

Yes, I won that one. I've seen a few Model 16 chassis come and go, mostly for more than what I paid for this. Hopefully there will be a working 16b in my shack when this is over. I may end up auctioning off the unused chassis if that's the case as is. I'm sure someone can use it.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU