Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

model 19

Just got done recaping and adjusting IF and trimers dosen't seem sensitive as some of my other radios with tuned rf amps is that normal for a model 19b code 126?

Should be as sensitive as your other radios. Start by checking the voltages on the tube pins, etc for anything out of range. May have a really weak tube somewhere. Signal injection may be needed if all else fails. Richard

And don't forget those coils...they usually have, or develop, open primaries.

A model 19 should be a very sensitive, very good performing radio when properly restored. If you don't need a lot of audio power but want good sensitivity and selectivity, a model 19 or 89 is an excellent choice for a vintage radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Already rewound two of the coils could be a weak tube tried the 80 and 42 out of my 84b no change don't have any 44 or 36 tubes to try radio works about like a good 5 tube radio like say a 37-610 but not as good as my sparton 1466 or GE SR II. I may buy a 36 and two 44 tubes to see if that helps

Thanks

You could buy a tube tester.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

vinzer Wrote:Already rewound two of the coils

Let's address that. How closely did you replicate the originals?

Used to have a tube tester but gave it away last time we moved.

Counted the turns and wound them the same way as they were.

vinzer Wrote:Counted the turns and wound them the same way as they were.

Same wire gauge, same winding length?

used same wire I used on a model 84 looked about same but don't the size.

Radio works ok just thought it could be a little better.

Your windings may not be phased correctly; try reversing the leads to your rewound coils.

Before you buy more tubes, measure and record the voltages on your tube sockets and get back to us with the results; it can probably be narrowed down to a single component with voltage data.

Do you have an oscilloscope? It will tell you quickly if your oscillator is running- and often it isn't.

I love my 19; it's my most used radio at present.

Pete AI2V

I will check the voltages phase of coil wires and see what i find. Radio works so oscillator is running.

Checked voltages found them all low . The lug that goes between the cardboard and filter cap was shorted to ground. Works much better now. Thanks for all the help.