Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

model 41-280 no stations or sound

Man this is really getting confusing. The tube does glow but what really baffles me is there is no cap between 7c6 and 41 but I know the schematic shows it. Now here's the kicker... I have another identical chassis from a 41-250 and it works great and it has no cap between these 2 tubes either. Both have the cap going from the 41 to a bus bar that has several terminals on it. I just made a correction in my last sentence.

AND IT PLAYS GREAT????
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I'm going to put this cap like the schem. shows and see what happens. I'll let you know.

It's not going to work without it. Once it's in touch the grid pin of the 7C6 and it should buzz like mad.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, I can't thank you enough for bearing with me through this. I've got sound and I've got stations. The only problem I have left is the sound is low with the vol. turned all the way up. I'm going to try swapping tubes again and see what happens. Thanks again, Bill ps do you know what tube would most likely cause this?

>Terry, I can't thank you enough for bearing with me through this.

The bill in the mail.
A whole lot of things can cause low volume. I like to fix set that are broken ones that kinda work can drive you nutz!
That's what they make test equipment for to see which stage is not working up to snuff. If you are very lucky a tube swap will work.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That didn't work and touching the center term. of the vol. cont. does nothing. Think I need to check resistors next?

Certainly won't hurt. Could be an alignment issue, did you diddle with any of the adjustment screws/trimmers? Check for wires that maybe shorting do to the service work done.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I haven't messed with the adjustment screws and there is one wire that's broken that I need to fix. I still can't understand why this other 41-250 works so well. Barely turn on the vol. and it comes in really good. Even being a novice at this I don't think the chassis has ever been out of the cabinet. The power cord is almost like new but went ahead and changed it.

Methinks you have a bad 7C6. Measure it's filament or put to a tube tester.

I've changed all my tubes with another good working 41-250 but no change. I also bought a tube but to no avail.