Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Christmas in August

Two new additions to my collection arrived today. I apologize in advance for the quick, poor quality photos that do not do these two sets justice.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/ARF/new1.jpg]

The radio on the left is a very rare Model 19X. It is the same radio as pictured in the Gallery:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933b.htm#l

The previous owner decided not to restore it, opting to sell it instead. Long story short...I ended up with it. Icon_biggrin

And the radio on the right is one of Philco's "big dogs," one of the "mack daddies" of the entire Philco line...a 37-690X.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/ARF/new2.jpg]

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/ARF/new3.jpg]

The door pulls are not original, but the rest of the set is. The insides of the doors and the front panel look practically new! The outer finish isn't too bad, either; it only has a few scratches here and there.

The decals above the knobs are in amazing condition! Yes, they are the originals...the repros do not use the same font.

And, yes, I do have the volume control knob.

Here's another photo of the 19X:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/ARF/new4.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron They are beautiful radios. I like the 37-690X, it looks classic to me. Glad you got them Santa was good to you. Icon_thumbup . Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Only one word can describe...Stunning!

Very nice, Ron!

-Greg

Ron,,, you guys in the States get all the good stuff.. Something like those just does not come up here very often... Very nice sets and I'll bet they will sound good when you are done with them... I like the finish,it looks new Dan

Living in Calgary Alberta

Christmas in July was my Dad's newspaper article in about 1943 in the Jersey Journal, that is unless he stole it from someone else which is quite possible. No longer have the original article, but probably he would have given credit.

All I have to say is WOW. Icon_clap Those are 2 excellent finds, the 37-690 is stunning. Icon_thumbup Congratulations Ron.

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Thanks, guys.

The 37-690 is my college graduation present to myself. The summer semester ends Wednesday, and I will then have completed the requirements for my associate degree in IT.

I received an unexpected tax refund this year, and I determined to use it to get myself something nice when I finished college. While I originally had intentions of finding a 38-690, my friend y2k Bruce offered to sell me this 37-690 at a reasonable price, and I agreed to buy it.

The 19X is sort of an extra added bonus. Someone joined the Phorum early this year long enough to put the 19X in the For Sale or Trade section, and I bought it. The seller was from Minnesota but was moving to Illinois to continue his college studies, and it just so happened that he had to go through the town where Bruce lives. So he dropped the 19X off with Bruce, and I ended up with both.

I made room for the 37-690 by giving away a 41-610 radio-phonograph which I decided that I no longer wanted. I'll just have to find a place to put the 19X.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Boo-tee-full radios, Boss. Know ya must be smilin' while yer stylin'. Christmas was in early July for me with the Hickok 752A and the Zenith 5S29 I found in Lansing, 10-4. Great haul! Icon_smile

Mike

Ron,

Now you are the 'Lucky Dog'! Those are very nice radios. Everyone should have a 'Big Dog' Philco. Icon_clap Once you get one of the 'Big Philcos', it kind of eclipses the need for a lot of other radios. Icon_thumbup

Ed

congrats on the associates Ron..... I got my associates in IT this past spring..........which path did you take programming?.....or more the networking side?.....i did the networking and admin. track now i have transfered to U of M to continue to get a bachelor/ master degree in computer science.......I need to my hind end busy getting my certs.........probably try to get a few this fall and winter......i really enjoy the building and repairing and networking side ....not so much the programming side.......also would like to go into the html and web pages things...

Sondowner: My course of study at Vincennes University covered both programming and networking as well as administration, HTML/CSS, computer maintenance and repair, etc.

If it's a choice between programming and networking, I'll choose networking.

One of my classes resulted in the complete overhaul of my website, Philcoradio.com . I had to build some pages for this class...decided it was time to upgrade my website...that project turned into a two and a half month long monster, but I am pleased with the results.

If I can find something in computer repair and maintenance and/or networking, I'll be happy. I still need to get my A+ certification, after which I am going to try for Net+ certification.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

if you want my instructor gave me a bunch of questions and stuff to study for the certs. to get prepared for them if you want i can email them to you....if your interested........let me know..

Well, that is very nice of you...thank you, yes, I will take you up on that offer as that should be very useful to me.

Simply click the "Email" link below this message to send mail to me.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

email sent....let me know if you got it all ok........

Ooo! Nice finds indeed! You got a 37-690 now, now I feel envious! Icon_lol
I guess I had Christmas in July with me finally finding a Zenith 12-S-265 and having that 1964 RCA color TV given to me. Now, I need to write Santa and see if he can bring me another building to put my stuff into. Icon_biggrin

No matter where you go, there you are.