Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery radio - identification, etc. sought

The attached file shows 3 pictures I scanned in of an old Philco radio my parents got, thanks to a friend of theirs who said his neighbor was throwing out a bunch of stuff since she was moving.

The model says "Philco model 610" - that in itself puzzles me because I didn't see that model number listed; I suppose it could be a part number because there are some others below. There is no back, just exposed wires, so I didn't get a picture of that. (I was amazed when my mom said she remembers my grandpa taking wires from their first TV - also with no back - tot he drugstore and testing to see if they worked. I never knew TVs also didn't have backs at first.)

The front kind of looks like the 1935 one I've seen pictured, but since it picked up FM I've since learned it had to be 1942 or later. What puzzles me is the lack of markings on the right side picture, which shows no station numbers or anything I at first thought maybe the earliest radios didn't have call numbers listed, but I've since learned they did.

When moving the dial, my dad said he can't seem to get other stations; nor were my parents able to move from FM to AM. (They're pretty sure they clearly heard the station ID when they were listening as 88.?)

So, questions.

1. What year would this be - is the 610 a model number or a part number like the others below it appear to be?

2. My dad already replaced the plug that used to go into the wall with a new one, as the old one was really old and wouldn't work. What needs to be done to get the AM/FM switch working? My guess is what happened was some sort of stripping of the dial that changes stations, but I know almost nothing about electronics.

3. Is it logical to presume that the station markings were somehow rubbed off when it was restored before? Unfortunately, I don't think my parents are going to be able to learn what happened or how it was restored.

Any other advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Hi and welcome to the phourn!
Post subject: Mystery radio - identification, etc. sought Reply with quote
The attached file shows 3 pictures I scanned in of an old Philco radio my parents got,t ahnks to a friend of theirs who said his neighbor was throwing out a bunch of stuff since she was moving.

The model says "Philco model 610" - that in itself puzzles me because I didn't see that model number listed; I suppose it could be a part number becasue there are some others below. There is no back, just exposed wires, so I didn't get a picture of that. (I was amazed when my mom said she remembers my grandpa taking wires from their first TV - also with no back - tot he drugstore and testing to see if they worked. I never knew TVs also didn't have backs at first.)

It is a model 610 and didn't come with a back. It needs some ventilation.

1. What year would this be - is the 610 a model number or a part number like the others below it appear to be?

Was made in 1935-36.

2. My dad already replaced the plug that used to go into the wall with a new one, as the old one was really old and wouldn't work. What needs to be done to get the AM/FM switch working? My guess is what happened was some sort of stripping of the dial that changes stations, but I know almost nothign about electronics

Buy another radio. That set never covered the FM BC band. It does cover the AM BC band and two Shortwave bands.

3. Is it logical to presume that the station parkings were somehow rubbed off when it was restored before? Unfortunately, I don't think my parents are going to be able to learn what happened or how it was restored.

It's very common for someone to try to clean the dial and remove the printing. Replacement dials are available for the set.

Don't try to make it work before having someone service it as it can damage the set.
The 610 is a nice easy set to work on and is a good performer. Just repaired one a few months ago just like your set. It also came in a table model too.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

thanks. My mom only heard what she thought was station ID once so she either misheard 880 going fast or, perhaps, it wasn't the station ID at all she heard.

Where does one find replacement dials? I don't know that they'd be interested if it's a lot of money but they enjoy just having it around.

Hello: agree, the 610 is a good reciever/player for a 5 tube set.

Repop dials can be found at Radio Daze or from Mark Oppat at Old Radio Parts.