Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NEW FINDS I PICKED UP TODAY!!!!

today i picked up a 19x and a 118 both in fairly good shape.....some veneer lifting on the 19x but should be able to fix it.......both sets have all the parts.....i know the 19x is rare just by cance happen to find one someone was parting with......may just keep the 19x and sell or trade the 118......if someone is interested in it shoot me a line........

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Great find Icon_thumbup The 19X is a neat radio, but if I were you, I wouldn't be so fast to trade the 118. From a performance standpoint the 118 is an outstanding radio.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Beautiful cabinet styles for both!

Mike

I far prefer the 118 cabinet to the rarer 19X. It has so much more style than most of it's lowboy (highboy? never can tell the difference) brethren. From the decoish bars on the top to the wooden waterfall at the bottom it has unique detail without being overly ornate. I wonder if the columns are a nod to the period obsession with bamboo.

In comparison the 19X looks uninspired on top, supported by generic columns and I think the indented space below gives an awkward perspective. Of course rarity has an attraction all it's own. Two great finds for sure.

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

Very nice haul!! Color me impressed!

I have a 118H like your's. They are an excellent reciever and player! The electronics are fairly simple. Your cabinet is in decent shape. I would hang on to it!

The 19X is also a keeper. Tough to find radio.

Excellent find...not one but a twofer!

Congratulations, great catches! Icon_thumbup

It's really a shame that the cloth is torn on your 118H. That pattern is not being reproduced. The 1935-37 "V" pattern will do as a substitute.

I also noticed the speaker in your 19X is mounted higher than the speaker in my 19X. Edit: No, the speaker in my 19X is mounted just like Sondowner's. I must have been thinking of another Philco. Icon_redface Icon_crazy I wonder why Philco mounted the speaker so high in the 19X models? It seems to me that having the speaker higher up on the inclined sounding board would defeat the purpose of having an inclined speaker board. Maybe old Jim Skinner was trying to save money on speaker cable.

Nevertheless, it's a great find and looks to be roughly equal to or in better condition than mine.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Good score! I really like the styling on the 118.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

Correction - I just looked at my 19X again, and I see the speaker is indeed placed high on the sounding board, about halfway up, just like yours, Sondowner.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well..... after reading Ron's last post I went back to the mirror in my bathroom to take another look.

Nope.... it's still some old guy in the mirror.

Icon_sad

Just found this forum recently and registered. What a place for Philco info.

sondowner do you still want to part with the 118H? All or part of it?
It would be able to help my 118H continue to live....

Thanks,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952