Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16B

Hi all. I finally finished recapping my Philco shouldered 16B, code 125 tombstone. When I first got the set it was working, but very poorly, so a couple months back I did a partial recap of the power supply and output stage coupling caps. I also did an alignment which helped quite a bit but the radio still had reception problems.
Now I did all the capacitor blocks, which were easy after doing a couple. I replaced ALL resistors as well. When finished I did another alignment, as it had new replacement parts. I'm lucky the shadowmeter works very well and just needed an adjustment of the rear light source.
Does anyone else own a restored 16B? Please let me know what you think. I attached a long wire antenna and the reception is incredible, to say the least. I'd compare it to a very good communications receiver...but with much, much better sound. Almost like a good console radio stuffed into a table top. Philco really knew what they were doing when they designed this set. GREAT radio!

Hello, Thirties:

I am listening to Radio Peking on my 118H as I write this......

Agree about the model 16 radios. I have a 16B cathedral and a 16X, both are great recievers and players. I am currently restoring a 16B non shouldered tombstone, and suspect that it will sound better than the cathedral by virtue of the larger speaker.

I would add that the 116B and the 37-670 are other great Philco table radios.

TA Forbes Wrote:Hello, Thirties:

I am listening to Radio Peking on my 118H as I write this......

Agree about the model 16 radios. I have a 16B cathedral and a 16X, both are great recievers and players. I am currently restoring a 16B non shouldered tombstone, and suspect that it will sound better than the cathedral by virtue of the larger speaker.

I would add that the 116B and the 37-670 are other great Philco table radios.

Hello,
Thank you for the response. Sounds like you have some very nice radios. I agree about the larger speaker as the 10" speaker on my 16B has great bass and tone. With the 16B I received a very nice 116 chassis and 10" speaker....... just waiting for a cabinet. Icon_biggrin

Good luck with all your restorations!

That's a nice haul! You won't be disappointed with the 116!

My 116B has a 116X chassis/speaker in it. The PP 6A3 output is super. Also have a 116B chasssis mounted in what I believe is a custom highboy cabinet. So I claim to be the only collector with a 116 console radio in a tombstone cabinet and a tombstone 116 radio in a console cabinet.

Yes, it is "bass ackwards" but what the heck.....

My 16B cathedral has a 1935 4 band 16 chassis mounted in it. The original chassis was worked on by someone who made a mess of it, so I found the chassis that I currently have. I like having the coarse/fine tuning feature that the 1935 16s have.

Your 16B shouldered tombstone is one that has eluded me thus far. Seems like you don't see them as much as the other 16 models......

I have had a number of 16 and 116 chassis cross my bench over the past several years. I've owned some, sold some, bought others. I currently have a 16B cathedral and a shouldered 16B tombstone, neither of which have been restored as of yet. I also have both versions of the 116B tombstone. My "late" version is recapped and plays very well. I have yet to recap my early version 116B.

The 4-band 16 sets, as well as the 116, are better radios than the early 5-band 16 sets. But they are all great performers.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, are the shouldered 16Bs less common than the non shouldered varieties? Or is it just me??

TA Forbes Wrote:Ron, are the shouldered 16Bs less common than the non shouldered varieties? Or is it just me??
I looked for quite a while to find my shouldered model. I saw quite a few 16's on Ebay while searching, and two 116's that looked similar, but couldn't find the shouldered 16B tombstone. It may be just the perticular time I was searching. I found mine on another forum...the guy wanted a black dial Zenith. I swapped him a 6-S-128 Zenith as I had 2 of them. I'm much happier with the 16B... would have swapped even if I only had one. The 6-S-128 is common and my 16B can out perform it in every way....except seeing the dial from across a room Icon_eek The 16B is one of my favorite tabletop radios Icon_biggrin

TA Forbes Wrote:That's a nice haul! You won't be disappointed with the 116!

My 116B has a 116X chassis/speaker in it. The PP 6A3 output is super. Also have a 116B chasssis mounted in what I believe is a custom highboy cabinet. So I claim to be the only collector with a 116 console radio in a tombstone cabinet and a tombstone 116 radio in a console cabinet.

Yes, it is "bass ackwards" but what the heck.....

My 16B cathedral has a 1935 4 band 16 chassis mounted in it. The original chassis was worked on by someone who made a mess of it, so I found the chassis that I currently have. I like having the coarse/fine tuning feature that the 1935 16s have.

Your 16B shouldered tombstone is one that has eluded me thus far. Seems like you don't see them as much as the other 16 models......

Yes... I really like the tuning on the 1935 16B as well. I've read that the 1935 16B chassis and the later 116's are very similar in performance. I'm hoping I'll find a cabinet for the 116 chassis someday.
I bought a 144B at a radio swapmeet a while back for $20. Much smaller tube count and smaller speaker than the 11 tube 16B, but still nice with the shadow tuning and the similar shouldered styling. The cabinet is rough but restorable. When I got it home I found out it was completely recapped and playing.
I still wonder why someone would put all that time in it and then sell it so cheap Icon_surprised

Hi Tom

The shouldered 16B sets do seem to be a bit less common than the "Deco" 16B tombstones. Philco also sold less of the shouldered 16B (10,400) than the two versions of the "Deco" or "housetop" variety (combined total of 18,147 for both varieties).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron. Maybe I'll find one someday.

Thirties: I communicated with the same fellow on ARF and offered either my RCA 128 or my Zenith 6S330. But I did not follow up with pics. I really did not want to part with my RCA. Good to hear that you got it and are making it right.

I am pretty much done with my 16B tombstone, just rubbed it down with oil and will polish it in a day or two. The chassis plays but I am not satisfied with the sound quality. If I am up to it I will clear off my work table and start working on it. (again).

TA Forbes Wrote:Thanks, Ron. Maybe I'll find one someday.

Thirties: I communicated with the same fellow on ARF and offered either my RCA 128 or my Zenith 6S330. But I did not follow up with pics. I really did not want to part with my RCA. Good to hear that you got it and are making it right.

I am pretty much done with my 16B tombstone, just rubbed it down with oil and will polish it in a day or two. The chassis plays but I am not satisfied with the sound quality. If I am up to it I will clear off my work table and start working on it. (again).

Hi Tom. Yes I'm sure that is the one I swapped for. I think he posted a photo of the Zenith I swapped him. I had been drooling to get a 16B and just had to have his. It is all original and was in exceptional shape. The shadow meter broke off during shipment but I was able to repare it. I've read where you have to remove the meter or pack them well before shipping.
I wouldn't part with a RCA 128 as well. That is a beautiful radio. I have one that needs total restoration. My only concern is the few pieces of veneer that are missing on the front arch top. That area is very visable and needs to look right. My dial is very, very dark as well so I'll need a new one.
Nice that you are finishing up with the 16B cabinet. I haven't done a thing yet with my cabinet but I do listen to it daily. Hope you get it sounding like you want as they do have exceptional sound. I do need to take a peek at mine as I used the side switch for the first time and didn't notice any change. I think it does some type of bass boosting at low levels...I may be wrong. I checked the switch and it is good. I know the early ones used the switch for a type of squelch between stations which is a neat feature.

I am listening to Radio China International on 49M band as I write this. Radio is my 16B cathedral.
If you want your 128 someone fixed right by someone I recommend that you contact Steve Davis. He literally built a Philco 43 cabinet for me and his work is VERY good!

RE your dial, many of the earlier models from 1935 had a dark red dial that was tough to see through. You can try brighter pilot lights, just make sure that the plastic diffusers in front of the lights are not so close to them that you burn holes in them from the brighter (and hotter) bulb.

I just switched over to Radio Viet Nam. Yep, I guess time does heal all wounds, even from those __________. (word that means one's parents were not married)

TA Forbes Wrote:I am listening to Radio China International on 49M band as I write this. Radio is my 16B cathedral.
If you want your 128 someone fixed right by someone I recommend that you contact Steve Davis. He literally built a Philco 43 cabinet for me and his work is VERY good!

RE your dial, many of the earlier models from 1935 had a dark red dial that was tough to see through. You can try brighter pilot lights, just make sure that the plastic diffusers in front of the lights are not so close to them that you burn holes in them from the brighter (and hotter) bulb.

I just switched over to Radio Viet Nam. Yep, I guess time does heal all wounds, even from those __________. (word that means one's parents were not married)

Hey Tom. Thanks for the tip for cabinet repair.
What are you using for an antenna? Sounds like you are getting great SW reception!
Do you know if the repro Rca 128 dial that radio daze sells is the dark one? I've seen some light colored repro's on 128's on the net and I've heard that a couple different variations are sold.

Have to admit, it's one H**l of a radio straight across the dial from one end to the other on all bands. Love my 116B and soon to be finished 116X. The only radio I've personally seen/heard rival it is my buds RCA 10T tombstone. That's also a set that is nice looking, nice sounding, and as far as consumer receivers go, HOT! I'm sure there may be others, I just haven't experienced them Icon_shh

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Hello, BDM: I like your pic, the 1936 dials are my favorite of all the Philcos.

The 116X is an outstanding set. I have a 116X chassis and speaker in my 116B cabinet, it is easily the best sounding "table" set I have. Would like to find a 116X console someday.

Also would love to find a T10, but I do have an 8T14, and it too is a good set. There is currently a T10-1 in eBay, but it is covered in white paint and the chassis is tube-less and rough.