Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 511

Hi Ron,

I almost have the radio all figured out but I need the wiring color code that show what wires go to in the wire harness from the transformer to the rest of the set and also I got a lot of data from Mr Schwark but it is not enough. Also there is a production change on the big bar resistor.
It shows six taps rather than the eight and if you can help me out what to replace that resistor assembly with the correct one that would be great.
Anyway thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Robert

Personally, I would go with Heyboer. Did that for a needed power transformer on a MidWest Radio. Very large xformer. Under $100 for a custom made (not including shipping). Buying a used is well, buying a 70+ year old xformer. Yes, took a couple of weeks but looks exactly right and works great. Nice part is you can specify your input voltage on the new xformer.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I can't give you a color code for the original wires because one does not appear to exist. It is not mentioned in Service Bulletin 5 (which covers the 511 Series), nor in the long form service manual for these sets, the Philco Radio Manual of Useful Information.

It appears that a majority of the 511 Series sets were made with the six-terminal resistor, and a separate 70K resistor mounted on the end of the chassis. With this setup, think of the terminals of the multi-section resistor as having terminals 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8 with no connection between terminals 3 and 6. Terminals 4 and 5 make up the separate 70K resistor.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN