Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Caps List?

I'm new and I just bought a Philco 40-180 for my first radio. The cabinet is in great shape and just needs a little work. The insides needs to be worked on. My question is, is there a parts list and corresponding replacement cap list anywhere? I've read through the forums and it looks like everyone is trying to match up their own caps to replacement caps the best they can. It just seems like there should be a list of there are XYZ caps in this radio and you can replace them with ABC from whichever vender.

-Dark

Dark, Welcome to the Philco phorum!
I don't think there is any list that gives you a list to buy from a vendor the specific caps you need for that model. You need to do some research on your model at nostalgiaair.org.There you can search for your schematic and parts list and figure out what you need.Then you need to find a vendor or store that sells them. We buy from many different places. Radio daze,just radios,radio antiques,etc.

Nostalgia air has schematics for your radio

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/resources/336/M0013336.htm

this also serves as a guide to fix the radio and has a parts list - the old parts list.

Components aren't exactly the same nowadays, so you'll need to find "closest match".

There are no list for every specific radio for several reasons. First of, that would be a tremendous job to do for someone. Then, one might opt for a replacement part that someone else would choose differently.

This is not an exact science, and several possible replacements do exist... its not all that complex once you know what it is you are trying to do.

If uncertain, just ask.

-Mars

Thanks for your help. When I do my recapping, I'll see if I can make a list of what I took out of the radio and then the corresponding replacement cap I installed and where I bought it. I've got the schematics and the parts it has listed.

I know it could be more time consuming and the caps won't match up one to one as far as the specs go, but I'll use whatever the closest cap I can find. I just think it'd be helpful to look at a list for a certain radio and order a set of caps and then get to work. That way it should cut down on multiple trips to the electronics store or online orders for parts.

Well, you can get about 95% of the way there using the original Philco parts list.

You will want to replace:
1. All the ones listed as "Tubular Condensor". Some will only be available in modern values. .047 in place of .05, .022 in place of .02, .0033 in place of .003, etc. Buy all new ones with 630v rating. (see below)

2. "Line Condensor". These are the 2 .01 caps across the AC line. Nowadays people tend to use AC rated caps or "safety caps". In a pinch you can use regular 630v DC caps but if you're ordering you might as well get the AC rated ones.

3. "Electrolytic Condensor". I see two on the diagram. 16@200 and 12 @ 350. I personally would use 22@450 for both of them or maybe 22@450 and 10@450. Your choice of radial vs axial leads. Depends on how you plan to mount them.

If you plan on doing more radios in the future it wouldn't hurt to throw in a few extras as long as you're paying shipping. A couple rounds like that and you'll start to build up an inventory. Makes sense to stick with 630vdc caps and 450v electrolytics since they will fit most every old radio application. You'll probably find yourself going back to the well for some resistors too but after a few times you can get better at predicting which ones might be problematic.

Good luck,
Bill

You may already be aware, but much of the wiring from this year the rubber insulation has worn out and will need to be either replaced or covered with heat shrink tubing. If you're buying caps from a place that also sells heat shrink tubing, you might get some of that in various colors. You'll need it.

Hey Bill,

I'm looking at the documentation and I see (5) .01 caps, not 2. Are there just a certain 2 caps that are .01 that I need different than the other .01 caps?

thanks

Dark High,

Exray (Bill) was referring to the two .01 caps that go across the AC line. These should be the AC-rated "safety" caps as Bill mentioned. For the other .01 uF caps in the radio, you can use yellow mylar film or other capacitors rated at 600 or 630 volts DC.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN