Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Speaker Cabinet ID

Hi,
First time on this forum.My name is Steve and I live in Los Angeles.
I recently came upon 2 Philco speaker cabinets.I'm looking for any information about them or their components.
I found the basic cabinet style in the 1937 Gallery on your forum.
The large field coil speaker has no visible markings.The DCR of the field coil is ~1100 ohms.The voice coils reads ~4 ohms.
The transformer (output?) next to it was made by Inca.I believe the model number is TF36.
The output of the transformer goes to the Jensen Crossover mounted on the left.The highs go to the Jensen tweeter and its attenuator mounted on the top corners of the cabinet.The lows are sent to the woofer voice coil and the 3 Jensen 8" Alnico 5 PM speakers (4 ohm).They have the number 4799 on their baskets.The woofer and the Jensens are series connected.
I was told by a knowledgable friend that he suspected these had been modified by the previous owner (an engineer).The baffle does appear to have modded.
Any information or comments would greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steven

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

That is a 37-116 cabinet that has been cut down and converted into a speaker cabinet.

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...isgust.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Penny for your thoughts, Captain!

Mike

When I saw that last night I wondered how long it would be before I heard a loud groan coming from Ferdinand, IN Icon_wink

I love that picture of the captain, it expresses those feelings perfectly!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Icon_biggrin

I knew we would be seeing that picture again. I really says it all!! Boo to the fool who destroyed a great radio Icon_thumbdown Icon_thumbdown Icon_thumbdown Icon_sick

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Agreed! That ought to be imputed a crime!

Mike

Heh...since I don't have a groaning, disgusted smiley among the smiley choices here on the Phorum, Capt. Picard's expression will serve for the time being.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It's certainly to the point and unmistakable.

Mike

Judging by the vintage of the speakers used I am guessing that the conversion took place in the late 40s or the 50s, but it looks like they scrounged some parts and bought others. As far as I know Philco never used Jensen speakers, at least not when the 116 was manufactured. That speaker cabinet is definitely not factory, what happened to the radio we may never know, the original guts may have gone out in a smoke show which happened on occasion. Whoever modified that cabinet actually did a half decent job, it may have been done by a cabinet maker.
Regards
Arran

Not that bad. Those old piston woofers still are great. Like the old Hammond Tone Cabinets in the Church. Got some.

Sorry to have brought such evidence of desecration to the forum.

I would be curious to find out any more information regarding what was referred to as the "old piston woofer".Who made it? When? Power handling information and so forth.....

I have had a difficult time trying to get info on Inca transformers.I had thought it was a push-pull type, but my meter readings point toward single-ended.Perhaps I am buzzing it out incorrectly.Did Philco ever use Incas?

So I guess I've got a couple of real Frankensteins on my hands.I suppose I could part them out,but would any of these components have much value?

Thanks for your responses.Again I apologize for bringing this hack job into your lives.

Steven

When the cabinet was built as a complete radio, Philco (1936-37) was still making their own speakers and transformers in-house. After a long strike in 1938, Philco began buying more parts from outside sources and building less of their own.

I have never heard of "Inca" transformers, and Philco would not have used them.

None of the components inside your cabinet are Philco components.

Oh, in case you are curious about how this cabinet originally looked, it was one of the two sets in the links below:

37-116X Standard - http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1937a.htm#o
37-116X De Luxe - http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1937a.htm#p

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN