Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 - Which Version?

I have decided that I want to find a Philco 90 but I am a little confused about which version I am looking for. I know that I want one with a metal escutcheon and not the bakelite and I am also sure that I want it to be a version that has AVC.
Is there a year or code that I need to be using to qualify which version? I am reasonably certain that if it has a switch on the back that it does not have AVC and of course the escutcheon is obvious.

Other than those two issues are there any other things that I should be considering as I look for just the right set?

Thanks,
Frank

Then you are going to want a Model 90 with a single 47 output, early production of the middle version chassis, above serial number 237000 but not too much above that serial number as Philco soon switched to bakelite escutcheons after the switch to the chassis with AVC and single 47 output tube.

A look at a graph, showing serial numbers versus production months, is revealing:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/graphs.htm
(scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page to see this chart, showing model 50, 70 and 90 serial number data)

Philco did not start using code numbers until the June 1932 models were released.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

Wow. You truly are Mr. Philco.

Well, after 21 years of studying Philco, I think I've earned the title. And, incidentally, I did not give myself that moniker...it was bestowed upon me by my buddy Eliot Ness several years ago.

I thought of calling myself "the Philco Radio guy" but Eliot's "Mr. Philco" was simpler. And it stuck.

Now, after 21 years, I've sometimes thought of calling myself "The Doctor of Philcology." Icon_lol But I don't want to come off sounding like a narcissistic blowhard like a certain narcissist on the radio whom I used to listen to...until I got to the point that I could no longer take three hours of "I love me."

Oops, I'm about to break one of my own rules about politics so I'll shut up now.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, Thanks,that was the information I was looking for. Now for some advice since I am still pretty new to collecting. Am I overly hung up on the Bakelite vs Metal escutcheon and maybe overlooking the electronics a little bit? In your learned opinion,which 90 is the most desirable and collectable?
Thanks,Frank

I think that would be a split between the early 90 without AVC but with the "normal-maximum" switch and two 45 output tubes; and the late version 90 with a three gang tuning condenser, 260 kc IF, and two 47 output tubes.

The one in the middle, with single 47 output, is the easiest to find, with the early version close behind. The "late" version is hard to find in cathedral form.

A lot of collectors want the "early" version because of the "normal-maximum" switch and dual 45 outputs. There are some who want the "late" version due to its relative rarity.

All three, however, are still highly collectible and desirable radios. Their prices crashed with the economy, though; they had reached a peak of $700-800 before dropping back into the $300-500 range. Still much, much more affordable than a Zenith Walton - and better looking, too.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Every collector should have a 90, and maybe even a 70, in their collection; I personally consider them the most recognizable old radio from the depression era. And while Ron did an outstanding job of explaining the difference between the versions his last point about current prices is worth noting. If you can afford it, now is the time to buy one of these beauties. There are a lot of them out there so be patient and try to find one in really nice original condition.

Happy Hunting!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Ron, I wasn't aware of the three gang tuning condenser and that is maybe more important to me than the metal/bakelite escutcheon issue. I like my radios to perform well and living out where I do (boonies) reception is pretty bleak. I couldn't live without my SSTran3000 but I still like to do some dxing and enjoy listening to shortwave broadcasts at times.

Thanks for enlightening me and I'll be searching for just the right set.I also agree with Eliot Ness that now is a good time to buy-prices do seem to be down on everthing except the very rarest of sets now. I am planning on attending the Kutztown Meet coming up pretty soon and maybe I will find one there.

Thanks again for the help.
Frank

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you find a nice 90 at Kutztown. One of these days I will finally make that meet! Had I been able to do so, I would have delayed my NY trip until I could stop by Kutztown on my way through.

I'll make it there eventually...

But anyway, about the 90. Only the third (late) version has a three-gang tuning condenser and a 260 kc IF. The other two have four-gang tuning condensers, and both have a 175 kc IF.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Now I'm really confused. Excuse my ignorance Ron but which would be the better performer?
Frank

Quick answer: either the "middle" version with single 47 output, or the "late" version with push-pull 47 outputs. Both have AVC which makes tuning a lot easier.

However, if you live in an area of low signal strength and don't mind keeping one hand on the volume control knob while tuning, the "normal-maximum" switch in the early 90 can be beneficial to you in helping to bring in those hard to get signals. By placing this switch in the "max" position, it increases the sensitivity of one of the IF stages. The other 90 sets do not have this feature.

Bottom line: It's up to you...any of the 90 versions would make an excellent receiver for you.

One more thing: Bear in mind that no matter which 90 you get, none of them will tune above 1510-1520 kc or much below 550 kc! So if you have a favorite AM station on, say, 1590 kc, you won't receive it on a 90.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Well, I found one sooner than I expected. A friend knew I was looking for one and called me to tell me he had it. He was asking $275 and I thought that sounded reasonable. I went to look at it today and brought it home for $200. It is the middle version with the single 47 and the metal escutcheon. I am posting a couple of pictures here and Ron ,maybe you or someone else can tell me if this is the correct grille cloth. It is somewhat worn and looks like it has been in there awhile.

If not the correct grille cloth can you tell me which one of John's products is the correct one? It looks like maybe #1 or #2 in his online catalog.

Thanks,
Frank

That is a great buy for a model 90! Definitely nice enough to display as is!

I always use pattern 1 or pattern 2 for the 90/70. I used the copper colored variety on my model 46, as that was what was on it originally.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that it works, Gets stations across the dial with a slight hum. I haven't pulled the chassis yet so I don't know if it has been recapped.

francois8890 Wrote:...Ron ,maybe you or someone else can tell me if this is the correct grille cloth.

I can't really tell from the photo. If it matches pattern #1 from John at Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters, then it is the correct pattern.

Congratulations on your find! You ended up with just what you wanted, right? A 90 that has AVC and a brass escutcheon.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN