Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canadian Philco 334

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Well, the USA model 34 produced during the 1935 season, at least during the first half of the season, used black rosette knobs. I do not know about the Canadian 334, perhaps it did also, perhaps not.

Now your 334B is a set I would like to have, it's really cool.

I'm pretty sure Perivale (UK Philco) built their own cabinets once they became established in the UK. I believe Perivale also built cabinets for Philco sets sold in Europe. I once owned a French Philco 2620B tombstone. The chassis had been built in the USA, but the cabinet had a strong Perivale look to it. You can see a picture of it here (scroll down to the first color photo on the left):

http://www.philcoradio.com/world/other.htm

It definitely uses UK Philco grille cloth, as some Philco models sold in the UK use the same cloth pattern.

I was wondering about that because there is a British Philco that has an almost identical cabinet to my Philco 3118, and the 334 discussed, but there is no U.S with that same style of cabinet. My theory was that maybe Philco took after Chrysler and produced products in Canada in order to export to countries elsewhere in the British Empire/Comonwealth since Canada had a more favorable trading status. I figured that maybe that was why so many British Philcos used RMA standardized tubes rather then the hodge podge of British types, I figured that maybe they would have made the cabinets over in Britain for cost reasons just as they did in Canada, but maybe they had a relationship with Philco of Canada. It was almost always cheaper to import parts of a radio rather then a complete set due to trade tariffs and other restrictions, and Britain already had a huge and well established furniture industry.
Regards
Arran

Maybe that is what I was thinking of, 25Hz vs 60Hz service. Back in the day when I used to hunt old glass telegraph insulators in Canada even THEY were different from their American cousins. We often camped along the Rideau system and there were many places to find the insulators there.