Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Old Victor caps need values

I have a Victor model R-49 and there are some caps in there that have no values ,[they are old black tar wrapped in paper] Some of them have numbers on them..Is there a site where I can get a cross ,,Danrefrence giving me the values from the numbers on the caps? Dan

Living in Calgary Alberta

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/ has a lot of reference material, should be there.

Dan,
I'm not finding any service info for your radio.
Can you post the complete tube line up?
Service info for a similar radio may have to be used.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Carl,
I do have the schematics from nostalgiair but there is only the schematic ,,no other material. The tube line up is 53,,56,,55,,58,,2A7,,58 and an 80.
I think I dug a hole with this one as everything is really packed in there,and somenone had been there and changed a few things..Thanks Dan

If you have the schematic showing the values,you should be able to trace out what goes where. Replace all the capacitors. New ones are much smaller and you will have plenty of room. Use 450 volt electrolytics and 630 volt coupling, bypass, etc... caps. While you're at it, you will probably find many of the carbon resistors have drifted way high. It's so cheap and foolproof to just replace all of them as well. Wirewounds or candohms do not have to be replaced unless they are open/shorted. The tubes are most likely OK if the filaments (the two fat pins) show continuity.

Dan,
Does this service info come close to matching your radio?
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...014906.pdf

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Thanks Carl it comes very close indeed.. The model you have led me to is model 330..On the schematics that I have it shows a portion [in dotted lines ]which is model 331, and it states that this is the one with the phono. The schematics are the same BUT it does not tell me the value of the caps,nor does it tell me the part numbers..
Don't get me wrong ,,you have been a help,at lease I have more to work with.It looks like the service data is the same as my radio,so I copied it ..
Since this is an old schematic and I am not well versed in reading them I can't find the variable tuning caps on the schematic.. Of course I know they are there but they are not printed the same as the newer schematics.I am trying to trace the wires to the caps and matching up everything so I can figure out the value of the caps.
I will be using 630 volt caps,except the electrolytics which will be 450 volts
All of the tubes test good and the radio does play [with a lot of hum].
Well it is nice to have you guys reply and help me ,I just hope I can do my part on this one...Thanks again Dan

I noticed that on the service info I referenced, after the cap values on the parts list, there are reference numbers for the caps such as C1, C2, etc., which could be matched up if the parts are laid out the same in your radio as they are on the layout drawing.
The parts list for the 331 did not have these references.
Do the stock numbers on the parts list match anything printed on the caps?
I have an old RCA-Victor RE-57 that I haven't started because of the size of the unit plus the original owner made several modifications.

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Carl ,,The old cap numbers that are in the radio do not match up with the parts list for the model 331,and the schematics are hard to read [fuzzy]...Some of these caps in my radio don't have any markings on them at all so I will have to trace it out the best I can. I think what I may have to do is explode the view on the computer and see if I can read it then. It is still an old schematic and hard to read.
I have an RCA re32 which is the same as the 57 except for the record player and it does work very well. I was told that there are not a lot of things that don't have to be changed as far as caps are concerned,,,someting to do with the type of paper they used in the caps.

Can't go too far wrong if you use 10 mf 450 volt caps for the filters, provided you get the polarity right, and pretty much follow the schematic already provided. Second one cn be 22 mf if there is any audible hum. Replace all the other wax capacitors period. Use 630 volt types. And be on the lookout for any burned up or out of tolerence carbon resistors as you go through the set, and replace any you suspect might be drifting. Better yet replace 'em all, cheap enough. Wirewound and candohms need not be replaced unless open or shorted.

Fire it up slowly on a variac or a dim bulb contraption and let us know what is going on.

Well guys I finally got it going after I replaced the caps with what I thought should be the right ones. It sure is cramped inside the chassis. I did not replace any of the resistors [as was suggested]. It tunes in stations very well and from far away..No hum and all is well .. BUT I did have to replace all four wires going to the speaker because they were shorting out... What a job
I would like to thank you all for the help,even if I did not follow all the instructions concerning the resistors.. I am still at the learning stage about this ... but it's fun
thanks again.... Dan[Image: http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm405...dio007.jpg]

[Image: http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm405...dio010.jpg]