Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for model/year for Philco Canada lowboy....

I just bought a Philco Canada radio/record Player yesterday. I've spent a couple of hours online trying to figure out the model and year, but it seems Canadian information is limited, and I would appreciate any help! It looks similar to a couple of US models on your site but not exactly the same, at least on the years I've seen. I stopped looking at the US models after I read that the Canadian models are different anyway. The back panel doesn't have the model number, just the serial number, which I understand is no help. So I unscrewed the back and took pictures of the various labels on the back of the radio and the inside of the cabinet. I don't think there's anything on the back of the record player but if someone thinks there might be some I can try to get a picture.

Information I have observed (I am no expert!)
--Radio buttons are, from left to right: 1. Off/On/Tone 2. Volume 3. BC/SW/PH (something/Shortwave/Phono), 4. Tuning.
--The record player arm is bakelite-type plastic. The record player is green metal on a roller. It's also on shock absorbers! (it bounces)
--It does have a back. Serial number is Q1372. It has a little gizmo for attaching an external antenna.
--Edited to add that when I bought it a man also visiting the store at the time, who seemed to know something about this sort of thing, said the front doors are made of french walnut. It's a thick veneer, in lovely shape.

If there is anything else I can answer that might help, please let me know!

Following is the first photo. Will attach the other photos to further posts as I don't know how many it can handle at once.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Natalia

BC, Canada

3 more photos.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the radio is a tube radio.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Natalia

BC, Canada

3 more photos of the back of the radio (the actual radio itself, not the entire lowboy unit.)

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Natalia

BC, Canada

This is the close-up of the chassis number. From my reading today I understand this should be the model number I'm looking for but can't find anything online that even says it exists. I've also searched the number on the red and white label (892) and can't find anything under that either.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Natalia

BC, Canada

Hi Natalia, and welcome!

Yes - "chassis type 753" is equal to "Model 753." So we are searching for info pertaining to Canadian Philco model 753.

I have a 1952 Philco (Canada) dealer catalog; unfortunately, the 753 isn't in it so it probably is not a 1952 model. It has the look of very early 1950s, though.

I have a CD of the Radio College of Canada service information, including several Philco (Canada) models. Unfortunately, all this information gives are schematic diagrams and abbreviated service information. Nevertheless, once I find it (I have misplaced it), I will take a look through it anyway; maybe I can at least come up with a model year?

In the meantime, perhaps Arran or one of our other members in Canada will chime in with some additional info.

Edit: "BC" in this case is an abbreviation for broadcast, which we call the AM band today.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you so much for your time, Ron! So interesting! We've had fun today looking at everything. The radio works on BC (AM), though we can only get one station. Must try the external antenna option. The record player doesn't work but it was trying. We had a look at the workings to see what the problem was. A manual would be wonderful but I don't hold out much/any hope for that.

After studying the photos more closely I noticed the white label on the inside cabinet had a "75_" on the upper left among the scratched off parts, so I went back and folded back the scrap and yes it said "753", so then I knew it was the model number of the unit and not just the radio. Thanks for confirming it!

I hope someone else is able to add more information.

Natalia

BC, Canada

My guess is that the set must be from 1952 or 53, it still has the warning about buying a radio recieving license that was abolished shortly after that time but mentions "Her Majesty" rather then "His Majesty" meaning Liz and not George. I will have a look in my schematics for a Canadian Philco Model 753 but my collection of Philco schematics is somewhat spotty from that era. From what I can tell it should be a decent performing set once working properly but it does not have a lot of monetary or historical value so keep that in mind before you start spending money on it. Most collectors won't even look at a post war radio phonograph unless it's a very high end model, but if you like it and want to use it as a radio phonograph they are fine for that if you have the space and can do your own repairs, the parts are cheap but labor is expensive.
I should mention that the one Achiles heel that most of these have is the changer and the phono cartridge, along with the usual electronics. Those early crystal cartridges are usaully stone cold dead when you find them, and the record changers at least need to be cleaned and lubricated to get them going.
Regards
Arran

Hi;
The closest model that I can find in my collection of schematics is once for a model 742 and a 743, the chassis layout and tube lineup looks identicle to the one in your set but both of these models are from 1950 not 1952. My guess is that they probably used the same schematic and service information, at least for the radio, on the 742,743,and the 753, although it wasn't unknown for any manufacturer to change part values or update things from year to year. Where abouts are you in British Columbia?
Regards
Arran

Huh? The 742 and 743 are both shown in my copy of a 1952 Philco dealer catalog.

The 753 could be a mid-season 1952 offering?

AARGHH...I can't find my RCC CD... Icon_crazy Icon_mad Icon_redface

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Huh? The 742 and 743 are both shown in my copy of a 1952 Philco dealer catalog.

The 753 could be a mid-season 1952 offering?

AARGHH...I can't find my RCC CD... Icon_crazy Icon_mad Icon_redface

The copyright on the bottom of the schematic folder for the 742-743 is from 1950, it could be for a 1951 model. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the model numbering system in Canada, like I have a model 84 that is from 1950 that bears no similarity to the baby grand model with the same number. I could have a look in some RCC manuals that I have access to, those will date the model for sure, if it's even in there.
Regards
Arran