Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for model/year for Philco Canada lowboy....

My guess is that the set must be from 1952 or 53, it still has the warning about buying a radio recieving license that was abolished shortly after that time but mentions "Her Majesty" rather then "His Majesty" meaning Liz and not George. I will have a look in my schematics for a Canadian Philco Model 753 but my collection of Philco schematics is somewhat spotty from that era. From what I can tell it should be a decent performing set once working properly but it does not have a lot of monetary or historical value so keep that in mind before you start spending money on it. Most collectors won't even look at a post war radio phonograph unless it's a very high end model, but if you like it and want to use it as a radio phonograph they are fine for that if you have the space and can do your own repairs, the parts are cheap but labor is expensive.
I should mention that the one Achiles heel that most of these have is the changer and the phono cartridge, along with the usual electronics. Those early crystal cartridges are usaully stone cold dead when you find them, and the record changers at least need to be cleaned and lubricated to get them going.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread