Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please ID this chassis..I need a cabinet

Tom

I've only seen the shield you speak of on 19LZ sets, never on a 19 cathedral or console. I've owned two of the 19LZ sets at two separate points in time, and I sold the second one only because I had no room for it and the less common 91RX. So the 19LZ left and the 91RX stayed. 19LZ models seem to pop up fairly often, while 91RX models are seldom seen. I seem to recall that our friend Glenn has a 19LZ now, the later version with AM and "police" band (4 knobs).

Incidentally, the 91RX also has a shield next to its power transformer, similar to that on the 19LZ. Neither my 91B or my recently acquired 91D have that shield. So, that leads me to believe this shield was only installed on chassis that were put into these 19LZ, 19LZX and 91RX cabinets.

Unlike a lot of people, I have always been a fan of the 19 and 89 series of Philcos. Properly restored, they can be excellent performers. Yes, their oscillator coils are very troublesome, but if they are baked in an oven or blasted with a heat gun, followed by properly rewinding the primary winding which is almost always bad, they are usually trouble-free afterwards.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Please ID this chassis..I need a cabinet - by Ron Ramirez - 09-02-2011, 06:39 AM