Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 37-690X

I've got to get one of these! After seeing the one Ron Ramirez found I've been wanting one. I bet the shortwave reception on these is superb! It's got to be one of the most beautiful radios ever made.
Ron is one lucky guy!

Where are you located? I am aware of one for sale in central Kentucky that needs total restoration. You need to contact John Goller to find out about it. john AT johnjeanantiqueradio DOT com

Yes, I do feel fortunate to once again have one of the Mighty 690 models. This one isn't leaving, either. It works well as is, but someone worked on it before I acquired it and the person did not rebuild the bakelite blocks. Some time when I have the time to do so, I will go through it again and not only rebuild the bakelite blocks, but also add old-style tubular caps, restuffed with new components of course, to replace the exposed caps. This one deserves the best.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron. I'm in Southern California. I know John, he has helped me with Zenith parts in the past. I know he has a nice 690X in his house.
Your right that your 690X deserves the best. I'm sure it will be a real performer when done. It sure looks nice!
I've heard they have a special type of tuning system. The features they came out with on the higher end sets is what makes them so special. I'd think a 20 tube radio chassis would be on the higher end of difficulty to restore with all the componients. I'm looking foward to someday having one. I'm going to give John a shout.

A 690 in Kentucky?? hmmm Icon_smile

Happily back in Illinois..not.