Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 46-350 Battery Build

Hey guys. I recently purchased a 46-350 that was in great shape minus the handle for $20 from a local junk dealer. I did some recapping inside the chasis and the radio is amazingly powerful for its small size. I would like to build a battery pack for it using conventional batteries. I know there is a couple of people out there who do this for a fee, but I'm more interested in doing it myself. Is anyone aware of good guide or walkthrough of such a process? I'd like the new battery pack to have the dimensions and look of an original. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I believe the battery it takes is a Philco P 841-A Thanks!!
Russ

It's a piece of cake! I use ten 9 Volts for the B+ and D's for the A that you'll have to find out what it is .
I have a Zenith 7G605 uses 9 Volt for the A and 90 volt for the B+ , so that's 6 D's for the A , and ten 9 volts for the B+ I have also two Philcos 39-72T and a 40-81T they ues 1 1/2 volt A and 90 volt B+, use two D's in parallel and then ten 9volts series .I can play these radios over 60 hrs on dollar store battery's, I use my vintage portables for emergences, flea markets ,or camping, you'll be surprise how well they play on pure clean DC voltage,
If you need any help drop me a line , you can buy what you need a "RADIO SHACK".
It's really eazy to do.

Bill,
This sounds exactly like what I'd like to do. My radio is 90 and 1.5 as well. I'd like to wrap it all up in a period battery look alike. I believe the Eveready 753 was also a suitable replacement for this from what I can tell. If I had high quality scans and dimensions of the battery, I feel confident that I would be able to reproduce one. Also, what did you use for the female receptacle of the battery? My radio has a male plug that is intact and functional.
Thanks,
Russ

There's a couple of folks here on the phormum that can make up a very authentic battery for you, and believe me thay aren't becoming rich from it. After that I figure it would cost you 50 cents per hour or so for replacements for every hour you play the radio at medium volume, with a shelf life or a year or two tops with 99 centrs 9 volts and a pair or quat of D Cells.

So I've wired up the battery back. 10 9volts and a pair of D cells. The plug that goes into the battery back has a green, black, brown and red wire. I'm pretty sure the black and green wire are the grounds for the 90 and 1.5 volt packs. Can anyone give me any idea which wire is for the positive side 90 volt and which is for the positive side 1.5 volt?

As a side note, it appears that my battery should be 90/9 volt according to the schematic. Here is an excerpt.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Russ,
According to the schematic the green wire is the ground minus side of the 90 volt 'B' supply. The red wire is the plus side of the 90 volt B supply.
The black wire is the ground minus side of the 9 volt filament supply. The brown wire would be the plus side of the 9 volt filament 'A' supply. The minus side of the supplies do not need to be connected together at the batteries. The tube filaments are in series with dropping resistors therefore the need for 9 volts. Connect 6 1.5 volt D cells in series for the 9 volt filament supply. Icon_think You may want to trace the battery wires to make sure they go to the correct pins of the tubes in case someone has messed with the wiring?
John

I have a couple of them and properly aligned and adding 2'X2' tuned loop even better, can pick up all things. Really great design.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Must the A side be 6 d cells, or can I use AA or C? D cells take up a lot of real estate. And thanks for the wiring tips John, I'll see if I can't get this battery built sometime this week.

The filaments are a 50 mamp current string so C cells would work but won't last as long as the D cells of course. John

As for the plug I believe I used a dynamic field speaker plug for the Zenith,plug matched the radio, you'll just have to scrong, it helps when you've got over 500 radios to find something, I built my battery box from bass wood I cut off of my own land.
The Philco I used banet plugs I bought from ACE Hardware or NAPA Auto Parts store

Thanks for all the responses guys! I had a round wafer board i drilled out to match the prongs, and some female crimp on bullet plugs. Add some glue, and the plug is good to go. Now I just have to build out the battery. Bass wood is a great idea! Easy to shape and cut. I guess I need to go to hobby lobby today.

Just thought Id mention that you want to be sure your set is in good working order before you run it on batteries. All it takes is a leaky cap to run your batteries down to nothing even with the set off.
Good luck!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry,
I appreciate the tip, but I've already replaced all the old capacitors. Still working on a housing for the battery, I'll update you guys as soon as I finish it up.
Thanks,
Russ