Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-15 radio repair help needed

My Dad gave me this radio that he purchased in 1937. It works, sort of. The on/off volume control has one volume, low. I would like to replace it. The part # is L-500M 304715. Are these available? The metal cap on the 6A7 tube is loose and I have found ample suppliers of tubes. I thought I would go as far as I can to see if I can improve the functioning of the radio, and failing that, would take it to a local repair shop (4 are listed in the Dallas/Fort Worth area). What kind of antenna connects to the two wires coming from the rear of the radio? I assume these wires are for the short wave. The AM radio works but not everytime I turn the radio on Icon_confused: , but when it does, it has a hum to it. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. I am obviously a newbie, but am open to influence.

Your volume pot/switch is readily available. The on/off + pots are very cheap from RadioDaze.com. You should be able to use their 500K audio taper pot with the added switch option. I always cut the shaft length and cut the flat with a Dremel cutting wheel after installation. Wait for others to add more options to the pot search.

Simply running a "bead" of super-glue around the base of your 6A7 grid cap will hold it very well. When hardened just scrape off any excess with a knife.

A 10' length of antenna is the absolute minimum for broadcast reception; if you have aluminum siding or aluminum faced insulation, you will need to put your antenna out a window and into a tree. 30-60 feet is a good range for shortwave use. Your hum might just go away with a good antenna. If your hum is really nasty, the filter caps will need changing (it's a good practice to change them anyway).

Pete AI2V