Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Midwest model 181

Good evening everyone,

I'm new to this forum and look forward to absorbing the abundance of wisdom on these pages...and hopefully one day contribute my own.

I found this unique Midwest model 181 on the local Craigslist and would like to know your collective opinion on its potential and value. I haven't purchased it yet, because the owner is getting an appraisal from a local antique dealer. That will probably mean big $$$.

It's been in the same family since new. The owner's grandmother purchased it in 1941.

I don't think it is a common model; never heard of it before. ( I've heard of Midwest, just not this model ) It does have a separate tweeter built in the speaker frame. It's tube count is 18, including the eye tube. 4 6V6's for output. It also has the 78 record player. The tuner bezel is a type of plastic that has shrunk a little over the years. Overall, it does not look to have been electrically molested. Both speakers will need to be re-coned and I'm sure a full recap is necessary before applying power.

The cabinet is solid, also. No veneer lifting. It will need a good refinishing, however. I was thinking I should offer around $125-$150, if the appraisal isn't too far off. Is that in the ballpark, or am I nuts?

Paul

Looks like a nice unit. If you want to fix it up and keep it for your own enjoyment, fine. It is just about impossible to make any money on these units because there is an ample supply and little demand, although I don't know about this particular model. I doubt any antique dealer would offer more than $50, but if the tubes are good, they're worth more than the rest of the set.

There will be other opinions though.

For an 18 tube, 5 band set I would think 100-125.00 would be a decent offer. If there is a major component like the power transformer or speaker coil (s) wrong, make it clear to the owner that it is worth less.

Personally. I think it's a neat set that should be a great player when right.

Good luck, hope it goes well....

Indiana collector Michael Feldt has a NOS 181 chassis nicely pictured on his website along with pages from a 1941 catalog that show the radio you are interested in:

http://www.indianaradios.com/Midwest%20181%20Radio.htm

That is an interesting and complete example of one of the last pre-war Midwest radios. Not as desirable as some of their earlier deco styled radios, but perhaps a little rarer. I think it would be a very nice looking and performing radio when finished. The bezel doesn't look too bad and I wouldn't be so quick to re-cone the speakers until further examination; it's hard to see if (and how bad) they may be damaged from the picture.

Value is hard to judge, and the phonograph will turn off some radio collectors. Personally I think the $100 +/- offer is in the ballpark, but I may be partial because it's an 18 tube Midwest, I live close to Cincinnati, and I have a couple of other Midwest's. If their appraisal comes back high you might have to make an offer and keep checking back with them. I would, at the very least, contact Mike Simpson (Midwest expert) and see what he thinks about it:

http://www.midwestradiomuseum.com/welcome.htm

Good luck!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"