Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 87

Upon further troubleshooting I found 1/2 of the output transformer open and the 2nd AF input transformer is melted open.
Does anyone have any suggetions?
Thanks

Jimony, don't dispair, I had a lot of trouble with my first one, as a matter of fact it is still not up and running. The transformer will have to be replaced if possible. If a replacement can't be found you may be able to get it re-wound. The AF coil I am not familiar with but will take a look at the schematic and see if I can come up with an idea. Do you mean the first IF transformer? These alternative may get expensive so you will have to make a discision as to how to play it.

Thanks for the reply. There is an input transformer fronm the 1st audio tube to the grids of the 45 tubes, It melted.
The output transformer from the plates of the 45's to the speaker has 1 side open. I read that the 45 is equivilent to the 2A3 tube. Looking in a catalog from TUBESANDMORE.com they have a 2A3 output transformer. I will email them for an exact description.

Thanks!
Jim

Jimony, just so I know what we are talking about, the xfmer is part #25 2nd AF xfmer right? From the schematic that looks like an iron core xfmer, but since you are saying it "melted down", I'm assuming its tubular cardboard with coils wire wrapped around it, is that so? Pat

The parts list shows p/n 3242 for the #25 push-pull input transformer and p/n 2848 for the #36 push-pull output transformer.
Chuck's site has info on the 3242 transformer:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/audioinp.htm

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV