Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith wavemagnet antenna

Concerning Zenith 8G005 transoceanic radio, has 2 detachable wavemagnet antennas for shortwave and broadcast band. Able to use the one for shortwave but seem to be missing an adapter connecting the wavemagnet for broadcast band. Have the red vinyl flat twin lead cable that snaps on the wavemagnet but don't know what I'm missing to connect it to the radio. Guessing I'm missing an adapter with a 3 prong plug with snaps. Anyone with an ower's manual that shows this?

Richard

[Image: http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/ZTO_NGad.jpg]

If I remember right there are 2 connectors to the right of the single connector for the telescoping antenna. I believe these are for BC or AM only wave magnet in the lid. They are identical to the telescoping antenna connection, a simple pin plug, only there are 2. Your other wave magnet, for shortwave, has a 3 pin connector and the socket is made to disconnect the wave rod. Someone correct me if this is wrong.
I can direct you to the schematic for this receiver but haven't seen a manual.
Hope this helps

Think I have it figure out. Speculation about a missing 3-prong adapter didn't add up since it was in the SW circuit from the schematic. The fixed BC antenna loop is in the roof of the cabinet. However the other end of red twin lead cable will connect on a pair of snaps on the lid. Removing the lid's snap panel shows wires going into the lid. Put the wavemagnet near a window and the RF energy travels through the cable to the lid loop which re-radiates the RF signal into the fixed loop BC antenna. Anyway this is how i think it was intended to work. The wire in the lid does not show continuity like the fixed BC antenna or wavemagnet loop but think this is OK. Below is a pic of my radio showing the BC wavemagnet in use.

Richard

[Image: http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/...5002-2.jpg]

Forgot about the extra snaps in the lid. Glad to see you solved the problem tho.