Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16B question

Hello all. I know there are several different versions of this radio. I have a later shouldered version but don't know much about the earlier ones. I went to look at one for sale today that seems to be priced right and want to make sure the chassis is the correct one for this radio. I didn't have a camera with me but it is the version with the slightly arched top. I found photos of the same radio, and the same chassis online. Is this chassis correct for the radio shown? I know alot have been swapped over the years.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Hi,

Yes, that is the correct chassis for that cabinet. Go for it...and good luck!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That is a nice cabinet.

-Mars

Thank you both for your responses!

An early model tombstone with the 5 band chassis! Very nice!

TA Forbes Wrote:An early model tombstone with the 5 band chassis! Very nice!
Thank you for the reply. I'm hoping to get all four versions and the 116 someday. I have the 116 chassis and speaker so I guess I'm part way there on that one Icon_biggrin

With all the recent discussions on the Phorum regarding Model 16B, I coincidentally stumbled across one for sale just like the one in photo above. Are these rare? What's a fair price for one in fair to good condition?

Thanks.

Best to watch Ebay for the going rate. I don't think they would be considered rare as I see quite a few for sale. The later shouldered cabinet seems to be the hardest to find. I saw one like this sell for $275 in unrestored but nice condition and I've seen ones sell for much more. They are great sets when restored correctly.
BTW..... You are fairly close to me. I grew up in Santa Barbara and have a brother who still lives there.

If it's complete and the cabinet in good to excellent condition, I would say between $150 to under $300, fair condition maybe between $100 to $200. Parts missing and a rough cabinet would obviously make it worth less. Fleabay is all over the map, I saw one in semi complete but rough condition go for over $400 (way too much) but saw another in much nicer condition go for under $275. I remember this because a guy on the other forum was trying to argue that the $400 beater wouldn't need over $200 worth of work and materials which was laughable, that was quite an assumption to make on a set with a rusty chassis. I work by the ALASP principle, even though these are an excellent series of sets they are not rare, not extremely common like a model 620 but they do come up on a regular basis, if you can't get one for the condition and price you want just wait a while.
Regards
Arran

Yes I'd say Arran's prices are probably closer if you don't shop Ebay as I found all of mine in his price range. Just picked this one up for under $200. The cabinet has been stripped but it included the "getting hard to find" grill cloth. The chassis plays very well and was completely recapped. I really like these 16B's Icon_biggrin

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.